• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch reciever

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
Is it worth taking my winch off the front of my rig and putting it on a winch reciever to use on the front and back of my rig. I'm thinking I can get a "smaller" bumper and my approach angle will be better, as well as being able to winch from the back if needed. I'm not sure if I like the strength aspect and will beef the crap out of the reciever.
I can also then use the winch for my other vehicles if so needed.

thats the route i went, the only strength issue i was concerned about was the shear off of the pin, but there rated at 32k lbs(if you buy a nice locking pin). and you can get these )i think there called) j connectors 200 amp capacity and there all weather so i can plug into the front or rear and have power sitting there for me.

thats the way i went and its perfect for just about ne recovery. those connectors can be had on jumper cables to so theres even more incentive

I have the bumper with the receiver neck shown in the link (you have to scroll down about 2/3 of the page to see it). I cut off the neck almost flush with the front face of the bumper to improve my approach angle, but the winch still sticks out as far or futher than any full time winch bumper. I made a removable spacer to put in the 1/2 inch space between the cradle and the bumper for angle pulls. I do like the ability to remove the winch and use it in back.

I bought a grade 8 bolt to set in my winch cradle neck behind the bumper. Not sure whether the grade 8 bolt is better than a hitch pin though. What do you guys think?

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html

The hitch pin is the last thing you need to worry about. However, I had a winch on a receiver for 8 years and used it a lot, and never came upon a situation that I could not have solved with it on the front. If you absolutely must go backwards, you can simply run the winchline underneath the axles and out the back. I am now building another jeep and will be putting it permanently on the front. my 2 cents.

It just seems more versatile being able to set the winch up on the back as well. Sure you can use snatch blocks but you need to be able to anchor on to at least two anchor points then your rig to use them as opposed to just winching out backwards using one anchor point.
Running winch cable under your rig opens you and your rig to a few different issues. If the winch reciever will stand up to it it seems to make sense to go in that direction. It takes up space in your truck but it seems to give the best options. Smaller bumper = better approach angle, least amount of equip needed to winch either direction, least amount of anchors needed to winch....

Has anyone made a low profile winch mount, like something that actually looks semi permanent?

I'd love to have something tight enough that would look great, and sit very close. It'd be sweet to only have it on during wheelin trips, and take it off for road use.

I had mine made by a buddy it only sticks past the grill 9 or so inches and sits up high on my jcr stage 4 bumper, only thing i dont like is that it does sit right smack dab in the middle of the grill, so not much airflow. no problems overheating yet but havent hit summer yet either

I had mine made by a buddy it only sticks past the grill 9 or so inches and sits up high on my jcr stage 4 bumper, only thing i dont like is that it does sit right smack dab in the middle of the grill, so not much airflow. no problems overheating yet but havent hit summer yet either

You oughta be fine. A lot of the guys i wheel with have winches in front of the grill and no overheating issues. I grabbed a JCR stage 4 myself so i could eventually buy a winch and cradle.

I welded a 2nd reviever tube on top of my original front reviever at a 12 deg angle.
picture.php

If you absolutely must go backwards, you can simply run the winchline underneath the axles and out the back.

You can actually properly winch backwards from a front mount with lots of snatch blocks.

You can actually properly winch backwards from a front mount with lots of snatch blocks.

How would you rig the snatch blocks? :dunno:

The problem I see with wheeling with your winch/cradle stored in the back of your jeep so as to maintain optimum approach angle is schlepping that ball buster out through the mud or rocks when you need it. Its one thing to do it your driveway without throwing out your back, potentially much more difficult on the trail. When I'm stuck, I want to recover as easily as possible, which is why I have a winch in the first place.

Valid point, and the biggest point of contention in deciding whether a mobile mount or a permanent mount. but the Warn M8000 on the work truck isn't that heavy, and is in a hitch cradle.

Back