• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spill Kits

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm curious if anybody carries a spill kit, or other supplies for cleaning up oil and other substantial fluid leaks?

With a quick Google search, I came up with these possibilities.

3qt "Off road spill kit"

11gal Fleet spill kit

Economy spill kit

What do you guys carry?

This kind of goes along the lines of a first aid kit, and fire extinguisher in my opinion. Everyone should have one (I'm guilty for not), and hopefully never have to use it.

Last edited:
i have a bag of absorbent material intended for use in the bottom of a bird cage.
its about the size of a box of cereal.

does it work?
probably not.

i've never tried to absorb anything other than bird shit with it.
i let my parakeet out the window.. ..so i didn't need to use the stuff anymore.
so i just threw it in with my trail gear...

yah, im what you might call eccentric...

...or cheap....

...or plain dumb.

: D

haha!

Middle one looks cool too. Not sure what the ramsock 4'x4" is ?

Haha.. found a funny pic

SMI01132-illus.jpg

i have a bag of absorbent material intended for use in the bottom of a bird cage.
its about the size of a box of cereal.

does it work?
probably not.

i've never tried to absorb anything other than bird shit with it.
i let my parakeet out the window.. ..so i didn't need to use the stuff anymore.
so i just threw it in with my trail gear...

yah, im what you might call eccentric...

...or cheap....

...or plain dumb.

: D

haha!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Your more prepared than I am, so I have no room to laugh.

There are a ton of "industrial" type oil spill kits out there. I'm still researching them a bit, and trying to figure out what I need and don't need.

Well what we use at work and is easy and ultra inexpensive is absorbant(kitty litter), garbage bags(double bag if neccesary) and a shallow collapsable cardboard box(place bags over box to act as catch pan, place kitty litter inside too). Take a bar of ivory soap for fuel tank leaks. Rub the bar back and forth across the hole and it's plugged. You can pay alot or by the easy stuff and be prepared. Golf tees, wooden bungs, rubber gloves, absorbant pads antifreeze and oil.

I do carry a spill kit. I was given it by the "Friends of the Rubicon" group.
I have needed to use it once and REALLY appreciated it.

Here are a few thoughts for the minimalist:
1. You need a container of some kind to be able to fluids into to stop them from ever touching the ground. Any container that you can seal would be fine for this. Your water jug, large zip lock bag, jar, etc.

2. You need a large "absorber" of some kind, blue paper towel, sponge, absorber mats, etc. Anything you can use to clean up fluid from the ground as much as possible.

3. There are a variety of solutions from a real "kit" to kitty litter or a shovel. The import part is that you actually USE what every it is that you come up with and the easier it is to find and use the more likely someone is actually willing to do this.

In my experience a large zip lock bag with a large absorber mat is probably the most logical solution. Couple this with a few large trash bags (we should all have these anyway) and a shovel and there isn't much you can't clean up and take back safely in your XJ.

Michael

The shovel and garbage bag approach is definitely better than nothing. However, I have to question how effective it would be in some situations where dirt isn't quickly available or the the spill isn't on soft ground (ie: funny rocks, moab, pavement, etc).

I'm going to try and get a kit made up here soon. Basically what I'm thinking is have a sealed bag dedicated as "spill kit supplies". It will contain some absorbent material, several absorbent pads, and some heavy duty garbage bags. It should fit in the container I carry spare fluids in, which also includes a catch pan, handwash, and nitrile gloves.

I'll update this when I get it put together.

I would be surprised if we couldn't find a large organization that would be willing to provide a few of these to us.

Have you checked with places like the Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly, NW4WDA, etc?

These would also make an excellent NW Fest donation!!

Michael

I carry a spill kit in the rally Jeep, of course.

It consists of a 5 gallon bucket and some large absorbent pillow looking things, and a plastic bag.

You described my "Hide the Dead Hooker" kit.

Back