• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kinda oil is everyone running?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to do a tune up and wanted to know what kinda fluids you guys are running.I did a search and it seams most people like the regular Champion spark plugs but what about the spark plug wires?And what kinda motor oil and differential oil?Thanks:repair:

I usually try to get the high mileage stuff. I'm not really too brand picky, but I try and stay away from the Brand X stuff. Penzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, etc. I usually slap in the tried and true 10W-40 and let it ride. :D

The best thing to do is make sure you use lubricants that meet the manufacturers requirements and keep up with scheduled maintenance.

I run Mobil 1 engine Oil. Synthetic gear oil and trans fluid. Can you tell I like synthetics.

My oil is brown...and made from dinos. Get what you WANT...I won't say it's all the same because then the machine guns come out, but seriously, just put in oil and call it done.

The only difference in our engines is synthetic or regular which leads to change interval times... (flamesuit on)

In my Jeep I went with whatever was on sale that was a good oil, usually Kendall 10-30 synthetic blend or Castrol GTX, sometimes I'd go full synthetic if it was on sale. I'd go with either K&N oil filters or AC Delco, I stayed away from everything else, especially Fram oil filters. Just don't like them.
As far as wires go, I use Mopar wires, cap and rotor, but things like Duralast regular or gold wires and Duralast gold cap and rotor would be good as well. Gold, not silver contacts is what you are after if they have that option.

Something worth noting though is that once you go syntehtic you should never go back. So keep that in mind the next time your short on cash and dont want to pay the extra bucks for synthetic once its already in your engine. I run Castrol 10W30 or 10W40 in all my cars since I was 16. Never had a problem and never will as far as Im concerned.

Something worth noting though is that once you go syntehtic you should never go back. So keep that in mind the next time your short on cash and dont want to pay the extra bucks for synthetic once its already in your engine. I run Castrol 10W30 or 10W40 in all my cars since I was 16. Never had a problem and never will as far as Im concerned.
put your flame suit on...that's not true anymore. :passgas:

Castrol 20/50 GTX and a Mopar or Fram filter.
I have heard some people that went full synthetic, after using regular oil, developed leaks due to the smaller molecules in the oil.

People bash Fram, but I have used Fram since I started working on cars back in 1974 and have NEVER had a filter or motor failure.
Well... I have had one motor failure but the car had bad oil pressure when I bought it so I knew the motor was on it's way out. '78 Nova Rally.
Lost the motor 1 week after buying the car. Busted rod.

Castrol GTX 20w50 and Bosch oil filter for me in my old XJ (230,000 miles). Bronco gets Castrol GTX 10w40 with motorcraft filter(130,000 miles) and Benz gets Mobil 1 10w40 with german filter (160,000 miles w/ 10k oil changes) and wifes accord get 10w40 GTW with Denso filter (234,000 miles).

After reading about the low sulfur levels in Mobil 1 (and almost all oils now) if I have a flat tappet motor I would run diesel oil in it (assuming it meets SM (or it is SL) requirements. They say it only really matter on new build motors but I wouldnt want to take a chance.

STAY AWAY FROM PENNZOIL !!!!!!!! Serious!!!!! All oil is NOT the same.

I use motor oil, usually 10w30.

Walmart! Mobil 1 High Milage Full Synthetic 10w40 and Mopar oil filter. Like $30 plus tax. I prefer Autolite copper cores for plugs. Also I have heard that the Walmart brand Full Synthetic oil is made by Valvoline.

Last edited:
Back