• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto to manual

lozinge

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.
I own a 95 4.0 auto. I want to convert it to a manual gearbox. I have a ax15 box from a 2.5 vm diesel and was wondering if it was a direct fit ot will i encounter problems with the gearstick coming through the floor in the wrong place.
Hope you can help.

I'm pretty sure you will need a different bell housing to make it fit the engine properly. I may be wrong though, it has been known to happen (usually when it would be the most embarrassing)

yeah its a different bell housing there are a few more bolts for the gravelguard/rockplate. Also you are going to need to replace your flexplate to a flywheel.

why on gods given earth would you want to swap your aw4 to a manual?

Cause i hate autos and they dont do manual 4.0 in the uk.

What makes you hate automatics? The 2 ax-15s that I have had have been nothing but trouble. Both have since swapped to An aw4. It's not worth it IMHO

I like autos for 4 wheeling. It's easier when you have 2 pedals and 2 feet instead of 3 pedals and 2 feet.

To help offset the discussion.. there is something called a hand-throttle..
I guess it depends on what you want to do. I'm more of a go-fast guy than a rock-crawler.

Well, you can't beat the AW4. I'm not sure which trans this gentleman has in his XJ on the other side of the pond, but I'll stick with the AW4, possibly the best auto trans ever made.

Make sure your donor has the same rear end cause you'll need the front and rear driveshafts and different rears had different lengths.

I'm swapping my AW4 to a manual.

NP435 though.

It all comes down to personal preference. Never seen someone make an obstacle in an auto that someone with a stick couldn't.

I know a whole bunch of folks who like 5speeds for wheeling... different strokes for different folks.

I actually just checked my parts catalog... if you had a 2.1L diesel, you'd need a new bell housing. Apparently the 2.5L diesel uses the same bellhousing as the 4.0 though! Both use the 5300 8158 bellhousing.

I'm not sure but you may need to use a different clutch and flywheel etc however. I'll update this post shortly after I've cross-referenced those numbers.

EDIT: you'll need a different rock/dust shield as noted above, you want a 5300 4473.

You will need a different drive plate (5208 7578) a different cover/spring plate (4713 323) and some nuts and bolts. Just get a clutch replacement kit for a 4.0/ax15 and I think you'll be good to go.

You will also need a flywheel/ring gear for a manual as noted above, the number I'm seeing for that will be a 5300 5524 (flywheel and ring gear as a kit) but you can get those from any aftermarket vendor you want as well.

You may need to get the ECU from a manual 4.0L, but on a 95 I think you can probably just disconnect the wiring from the TCU to the trans and let the TCU sit there doing nothing. 97 and later you'd run into issues with a CEL and codes thrown.

Last edited:
I know a whole bunch of folks who like 5speeds for wheeling... different strokes for different folks.

I actually just checked my parts catalog... if you had a 2.1L diesel, you'd need a new bell housing. Apparently the 2.5L diesel uses the same bellhousing as the 4.0 though! Both use the 5300 8158 bellhousing.

I'm not sure but you may need to use a different clutch and flywheel etc however. I'll update this post shortly after I've cross-referenced those numbers.

EDIT: you'll need a different rock/dust shield as noted above, you want a 5300 4473.

You will need a different drive plate (5208 7578) a different cover/spring plate (4713 323) and some nuts and bolts. Just get a clutch replacement kit for a 4.0/ax15 and I think you'll be good to go.

You will also need a flywheel/ring gear for a manual as noted above, the number I'm seeing for that will be a 5300 5524 (flywheel and ring gear as a kit) but you can get those from any aftermarket vendor you want as well.

You may need to get the ECU from a manual 4.0L, but on a 95 I think you can probably just disconnect the wiring from the TCU to the trans and let the TCU sit there doing nothing. 97 and later you'd run into issues with a CEL and codes thrown.
Thanks for all the part no. Much appreciated. The hardest thing in the uk is getting a flywheel. The only 4.0 here with a manual fitted were the wranglers.

Back