• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stick Welding Rockers

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The rocker panels on my xj were toast so i hacked them out. i've got some 2x5x3/16 tube i want to weld in place of them. problem is that i don't have a MIG. i've only been welding for about a year but understand the basics and can usually get the job done. what do you think the chances are that i could successfully weld the rockers myself with a lincoln AC 225? if i used 5/64 rod and concentrated on the 3/16, allowing the puddle to "run" over to the thin rocker metal, would the 3/16 get hot enough?

The rocker panels on my xj were toast so i hacked them out. i've got some 2x5x3/16 tube i want to weld in place of them. problem is that i don't have a MIG. i've only been welding for about a year but understand the basics and can usually get the job done. what do you think the chances are that i could successfully weld the rockers myself with a lincoln AC 225? if i used 5/64 rod and concentrated on the 3/16, allowing the puddle to "run" over to the thin rocker metal, would the 3/16 get hot enough?
good news is that AC won't blow through the material like DCEP will. if you spend most of your time on the 3/16th you should be pretty good. the top side (door side) is going to be easiest, how do you plan on attaching to the pinch seam? the out of position is going to be much more difficult, especially if you are going to try to keep the weld on the top, instead of the sides. a 6010 or 6011 is going to be much easier to control the puddle then a 7018 will be in those positions. best i can recommend is practice practice practice on scrap until you feel confident

best i can recommend is practice practice practice on scrap until you feel confident
Xamillion. If you have random scrap body sheetmetal around as well as some 3/16 plate or tube, it'll be exactly the same as the actual job to be done, so practice on that if you have it.

i've got a little bit of swiss cheese left from the rockers and a bit of pretty thin wall tubing that should make good practice. do you think i should use 5/64 or 3/32 rod? i think what i'll do is weld below the doors (on the top side) and weld in the kickers to the "frame". then i'll be able to drive it to a pro shop and have them do the welding on the underneath... just wanted to make sure it was going to be worth the effort to make an attempt and that i wasn't trying to accomplish the impossible!

You can do it. It'll be a pita but like tomcat said use 6011 on the underside. Remember to stitch it and give it time to cool and spend most of your time on the 3/16. It's all about the prep. You can lay cleaned scrap or wire in the gaps for filler and weld over them instead of trying to fill it all with weld.

If you do all the prep and cutting and get things tacked in there good it shouldn't be to bad to have someone with a mig finish the job but just think, it doesn't take to many jobs for a mig to pay for it's self. If your going to get into welding anyway invest your money. I payed the price of a good mig many times over before I finally got one.

i dont know if id use 6010. its a bit more violent (made for penetration) a filler rod (6011) would be fine and 7018 would be ok. just take your time!

you can get a decent mig welder for not a lot of duckets nowadays too. plus not chipping slag feels like your cheating haha

yeah a MIG is definitely on the list. i'm in college now though and don't have much extra cash. this summer i have a decent paying job though. i'm considering waiting for a deal on a 110v used one off of craigslist. i figure that way, it may be used but i'd be able to buy a better quality machine that if i bought a new one for the same amount... i don't know a whole lot about mig's but i recall having heard from a few people that running the 110v volt machines with flux core can produce decent results for jeep/ backyard projects...

I just did this project on my jeep using 2x6 3/16" box. I did my side using my mig and my dad did his side using an old 225 lincoln buzzbox. I don't know what size and type rod he was using but we ended up doing most of his side with the mig as well. It just seemed a lot easier.

Get one you can eventually hook up gas to and you'll be happier in the long run. I got the biggest 110v they make because I bring it around to a lot of places and it makes plugging in easier

If you can, save your bucks and get a MIG that you can use with gas and solid wire, you will be much happier with your results and its is a machine that will be more versatile, which is good if you plan on doing this kinda maddness for a while. Another nice feature is variable voltage and not factory pre sets. As for the stick. 6010 will be a little sketchy in my mind. Get the smallest rod you can and practice, make sure the steel is really clean and fit up and have fun....nothing a grinder can't fix.

Back