• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch preference?

Posting up on a couple forums to get some input on the subject... Time to replace the clutch. Don't have the money for a CenterForce, plus I've heard and read about a few issues with the weights sticking and such. Anyhow... I'd like to get y'all's input on which clutch is recommended - Rhinopack OR Luk Gold. Heard good things about both, just wondering what you all think.

Daily driver, weekend wheeler... sees decent trails about three weekends a month or so. Rig details are in my sig below.

Appreciate any insight you all can throw in here,

- Matt

Last clutch I put in my '94 was a Luk Gold. I'm happy with it.

My factory clutch lasted 182,000 miles so I went with a stock replacement clutch which happened to be a Luk Gold.
The stock clutches are designed to be easily modulated yet grab hard at low rpm which is what you want for an off road rig.
Centerforce clutches with thier weights are designed to clamp hard at high rpm... not in my rig thanks.

I would go to the closest to factory replacment you can get, I tried a off brand on the cheap & had problems with it, had to take it out and switch.

i went with a the CF 2 clutch and pressure plate on my 89 and have not had any problems with it.

if i were to do it again, i would go with something less expensive and close to stock.

IIRC, my stock clutch lasted about 200k miles.

if your geared proporly for the tire size your running, stock should be good.

I haven't ran it yet, but I'm running the Centerforce clutch. I wanted the extra gripping power to handle the 4.6L stroker and any towing I throw at it. Usually kits come with the pilot bearing and a throwout bearing. I'd replace the slave cylinder while I was at it.

94 is an external slave, a good deal easier to change than the internals. Still, as wy_jeep points out, a lot of clutch problems may be hydraulics instead.

I had a centerforce stage 1 in my last XJ and it was very sticky!

Haven't geared for the 33's yet, and probably won't be able to for a while. Replaced the slave about a year and a half ago to fix a leak, so that's good to go. Stumbled across a Luk ProGold setup including pressure plate and both bearings for a hair over $200, probably going to roll with it. Only real thing I'm concerned about is glazing the clutch with 33's and stock gears.

This stock clutch would have lasted a hell of a lot longer... Long story short - lost 4-Lo on the trail, had to pull someone out that was stuck blocking the path and had to use 4-Hi and reverse up a hill. The amount of clutch smoke was ridiculous, looked like a 3-minute burnout on pavement. Unfortunately there were no other options to pull the guy out, tight trail so no one could get around me and no bypass to loop around to the front.

33s and 3.07 gears behind an AX15 will just plain blow. I ran 31s on stock gears for a couple of months and hated it. I don't even want to think about 33s.

Back