• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mile Marker SEC 8

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
I am posting this because it doesn't seem like anywhere else anyone has done a review of this new winch from Mile Marker.

So I was all set to order a SmityBilt XRC8 but I saw that Mile Marker had out a new 8K winch in the same price range as the XRC8. I know a lot of people that have had the XRC8 and love them but they seemed to have a lot of cheap features that I would have done differently. So I decided to try out MM's new winch hoping that because the MM namesake would be applied maybe the smaller details wouldn't be skipped.

This winch does use a lot of the same parts as the XRC8, I believe the motors are the same but the gear ratio for the SEC 8 is lower than the XRC8.

I have to say that so far it seems to be of better quality than the XRC8 such as the free spool lever is thicker and cycles cleaner, the stickers seem to be of a better quality, the hand switch and the control box seems to be made of a thicker plastic than my friends XRC8. I cannot comment on how it pulls but this weekend I shall find out and report back.

I got mine from 4wheelparts for $330ish without shipping. I also got a lifetime no questions asked warranty for $30 bucks with them. The winch is only $299 without the warranty.

Here are the pics.

0404101706.jpg

0404101510.jpg

Last edited:
So this weekend was a rather large Jeep event up here on Drummond Island and I got to fully test out my new winch.

Over the weekend I did between 7-9 pulls with the winch and it preformed flawless. I even pulled a full sized truck on 38's up a steep hill without a snatch block so I have to give props to the Logan's Metal bumper as well.

If you are in the market for a winch and are thinking about the Smittybilt XRC8 I would give this winch a good look for the same price.

i have one and it works great. hasnt let me down yet....i wheel with full size and wrangler out in the swamps....nothing less than 37" tires.

i heard the newer ones are supposed to come with waterproof solenoids...not sure if mine has them or not...but it works great underwater too :)

nice choice of cheap winch. Think I may go with one for my sisters Grand eventually. I dont really like the smitty built winch because it come from a company that make alot of cheap products....seat covers, nerf bars. But they also make tube fenders and armor. I honestly dont understand them, but i can infer that many of there products are just rebadged or generic. There winch is also exactly the same as the rugged ridge winch.

Good to know, I've been passively looking at winches, and had my eye on the Smittybilt. Though I just found out I can get a deal on Mile Marker and Warn products through work, I'll have to keep an eye on that SEC 8.

Back