• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes, another hack n tap question

jonnyghost

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching everywhere and it seems to be agreed that when doing a hack n tap on a manual trans with around 3" lift that the front driveshaft from an auto will be to short.

So there is only about an inch difference right? I've got a 96 with an 8 1/4 rear, a standard trans and 2 inches of lift.

I'm looking at using a yoke like the one used here. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm. I know my output shaft is different than his but it looks like a good bit gets cut off. Couldn't I just leave a little extra length on the output and use a auto front factory drive shaft?

I know it would have more force on it that way but I don't see how it could make that much difference with only an inch. Or am I looking at this wrong and I would need more than an inch in the output shaft to make up for an inch in the drive shaft?

Rather than adjust/adapt your SYE to fit a certain drive shaft, why not install the SYE correctly and have the drive shaft lengthened to fit ? The local drive line shop will lengthen or shorten and re-balance a drive shaft for about $75.

On a 96-01 Tcase, only 1.5" of splined shaft gets cut off for an SYE.

Last edited:
Why does the 1.5 need to get cut off at all? I know a shorter shaft is going to have less forces working on it but a longer one has more contact on the splines? Would it be any different that stock because of the double cardan?

Is that 1.5 with the RE kit or the yoke # 3103-27CV like I'm looking at using?

So am I being an idiot :dunce: or does no one have an opinion? :eek:
I guess my real questions are. How is it determined how much output shaft to cut off. Do most people just cut it back as far as they can? And if I leave mine longer will it cause issues?

So am I being an idiot :dunce: or does no one have an opinion? :eek:
I guess my real questions are. How is it determined how much output shaft to cut off. Do most people just cut it back as far as they can? And if I leave mine longer will it cause issues?

go back to go-jeeps write-up and reread what he wrote underneath the 2nd and 3rd photo.

if you dont wont to gain driveshaft length, then just bolt it on without cutting.

one of the main reasons for a sye, is the reduced driveshaft angle.

why the need for the SYE? what type of lift do you have in the back for the 2"? shackle, spring, or block?

shimming the rear axle may take care of vibs

"reduced driveshaft angle" ahh that makes sense. I know I could get away with just shimming (right now I have a transfer case drop and no vibes) but I was hoping to use the the same driveshaft front and rear. I just realized a few moments ago that the front shaft in my manual trans is shorter though so I guess that's not going to happen =)

Thanks!

Back