• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

!!!804000 MILES!!!!

seabass1858

NAXJA Forum User
I was just riding in my friends grandfathers 91 jeep xj. I asked him how much miles he has on it cause it seemed to be in good condition for the age. He is the 1st owner and always kept it in the garage and maintained. He told me i wouldnt believe him i said it cant be that bad. He said 804000. I gave him a wierd look and said do you live in it. he said basically cause hes in sales and been driving it since it was new. He said after 3 water pumps, 2 alternators, too much brakes to count, numerous transmission services btw which is an AW4 (original) along with the 4.0 which is original, and keeping up on regular maintenence he said it has served him well. He still keeps a coat of wax on it.

can anybody see an xj if taken care of acomplish this?

I was just riding in my friends grandfathers 91 jeep xj. I asked him how much miles he has on it cause it seemed to be in good condition for the age. He is the 1st owner and always kept it in the garage and maintained. He told me i wouldnt believe him i said it cant be that bad. He said 804000. I gave him a wierd look and said do you live in it. he said basically cause hes in sales and been driving it since it was new. He said after 3 water pumps, 2 alternators, too much brakes to count, numerous transmission services btw which is an AW4 (original) along with the 4.0 which is original, and keeping up on regular maintenence he said it has served him well. He still keeps a coat of wax on it.

can anybody see an xj if taken care of acomplish this?
That's awesome. maintenance is everything.:thumbup:

i know a few guys who've run well past 500K, things run even better than mine does haha. the I6 is a simple engine that will just keep going... maintained or not, but it'll last at lot longer if you do take care of it.. just like anything else

my personal XJ had 225k or some of the hardest miles i think any vehicle ever had on it before the motor blew(trans went at 210). the motor blew cause i hydro locked it FOR THE 4TH TIME(cracked a piston and bent two rods. ran great with nothing more than a rough idle till i got a hair up my ass and took the head off cause i thought i burned a valve)
i run an auto repair/tire shop, and have seen MANY over the 200k mark, 3 than i can remember above the 300k mark, and one that will always stand out in my mind that had 467k miles on it when i did its oil change. Conventional 10w30. minor rear main and oil pan leak. ran like a top, trans was replaced at 300 according to owner.
so yes, being in the auto feild, i can see it.

I can see it, if regularly maintained. Remember too that a lot of mileage piled on fast is less punishing than the same mileage over a normal lifespan. Travelling salesmen often put phenomenally high mileage on their cars.

Many of our Jeeps are killed as much by rust and age as by mileage.

I seem to recall a post long ago in which Rich Pierson mentioned getting something like 600 thousand miles out of an S-10 pickup.

Highest I have ever had on An XJ 4.0L was 351K

I had one with 265k on it, and one with 280k on it. They both ran awesome! Before I bought my current rig, I looked at quite a few different XJ's. Unknowingly, I went to look at one and the guy mis-typed the mileage in his ad. It said 63,000 miles, it was supposed to say 630,000 miles. That's right, 630k and still goin!!! He said it was the original motor and trans, but who knows..

Mine has 346ish now, but I replaced the tired engine and tranny around 335k miles. The #1 cylinder had almost no compression on it. An engine with over 400k is feasible but it will have problems. The bodies will hold up fine if they are long-distance drivers.

I can believe it. I am a diesel mechanic and have worked on trucks with well over a million miles on them. Servicing is the key to a long running equipment.
Back in the day I use to work at a Honda dealer. I seen many civics with 3 to 400k on them.

Dave

Other than diesels, highest mileage engines I have seen are 20/22R's and Our 4.0L's, Ford 300ci I-6, and Iron duke's

Used to work in the cab business 250 active cars in the fleet. it was rare for the cars to have less then 400k. and alot of them had 700-900k.

also, i second "honda".. a properly maintained honda motor will run 500k+ with no problems

my jeep has a mere 190,000 miles, but one of my brothers has 252,000 miles. they all start every time and run great. he isnt the best for maintainance though, lot of it waits until i go visit

I would trust a high mileage, daily driver (to certain respects) over a low mileage, stored, or sitting around vehicle. With my mechanical experience of things, when things are run and used like they are DESIGNED for, they seem to just do what they do. Things sitting around tends to lead to faults... When I put my ATV away for the winter, it bugs the heck out of me, so I periodically would start it up and warm it up all the way to keep things fresh.

But 800k on our beautiful I6, no doubt. This motor rocks.

This thread is bringing a smile to my face. My XJ is nearing 100K (I know, not much) and it was making me sad to think that it was getting close to it's midlife crisis. After reading this thread, I see it is just barely a responsible young adult. No cancerous rust to bring it to an early death out here in CA. ;)

No cancerous rust to bring it to an early death out here in CA. ;)

we have something worse than rust, they're called a prius. they might take out an xj, if going fast enough.
my father has an 4.0 mj @ about 290k, i beleive it can happen, but would love to see proof.

there was a guy in france that lived to 122, that doesnt mean all french people live to 122...

mine is at 182k, and has such bad blowback, i had to install a catch can

Back