• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Entrance assist handle on XJ

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know what to call them other than the Awwww Sh$% Handle. You find them on the passenger side above the door. Did they every mount one on the driver's side? I have a fubar'd Achilles Tendon and can't put any weight on my left foot for three months. It would help getting in the jeep (lifted about 6") if I could rig one up on the driver's side. Any experience?

I've never seen one on anything on the driver's side, although I'm not sure why. Even my wife's car (2005 Suzuki Verona 4D) has them only over three doors.

I've had that trim piece off, and I don't see any reason why one could not be mounted. However, I wouldn't do it the way the factory did - they just punched holes and threaded them. Pulls out too easily.

You'd be better served with some variety of load-spreading plate - or even a shortish 1/4"-20 toggle bolt anchor - for what I think you're trying to do. You're going to be using it for a fair bit more than balance, right? A #10 or M4/M5 screw is just going to be overloaded - especially with no backing behind it.

the reason for not having one on the drivers side is because the driver should never give up!

But if you NEED one, you can most certainly make one work from the junk yard. Pull the pass. side off and see how its mounted, and go get one from the junkyard and mount it. However like 5-90 said I would anchor it a lot more securly than factory!

Folding step stool with a rope attached?

i beleive the drivers side doesnt have one because under offroad conditions passengers can brace themselves with them, while the driver has the steering wheel.

ive seen even the passenger side ones get ripped off. but that may be an extreme circumstance (casing a landing doing about 45), i say fab up something that your confident will hold your weight.

Ive done it, atleast on the late model the mount is there under the plastic, from what ive seen almost all XJ's are made to be universal bodies for LHD or RHD, ive done this mod twice, fist time i took the a-pillar trim off both sides and laid the pass trim over the driver side trim and marked the holes and cut them out then just had and extra grab handle lying around put the plastic back in and it bolted right up. This past time on my current project I was able to get an A-pillar trim from a postal jeep and it already had the holes in it, just put it in place and bolted a handle up.

In this pic you can see the postal trim with the holes in the driver side
4373785620_43021fb6bc.jpg

here a pic showing all 4 grab handles in place
4427039963_0d890655ff_b.jpg

if interested, more pics of my project can be found here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011933

hope this helps
KP

Back