• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 slips, and AW4 gets stuck in 1st?!?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
So last week in Moab, we were going down metal masher. When i came up to a decently sized ledge i went to go up it and i hear this grinding noise from under my Jeep, and the back tires just dug in. At first i thought i had sheared teeth in my front D30, but with further inspection we figured out that i wasn't getting any power to the front wheels. The drive shaft was not moving at all.

I dealt with it all day, as that was the first ledge of the first trail of the trip i was not very happy. I thought that maybe my chain was slipping, which would be weird because we replaced it about 4 years ago with only a handful of times taking it off road.

Got back to camp and pulled the fill plug, it was a little low but not at all low enough to cause any problems. Maybe 1/8th of a quart low. I could see some gears and the teeth looked kind of rounded but it may be just how they are, not enough for me to think that i had found the problem.

It did this all trip, except some times it would work sometimes it wouldn't. And sometimes it would get you half way up the launch pad on golden spike and decide to give out on you 20 feet from the top... So because it would work some times we thought maybe the shifting linkage was shifting it too far or not far enough causing a small contact area and causing the loss of 4 wheel drive. Also i should mention it only did this in 4 lo, i tried it in the other 4 wheel drive modes but 4 lo was the only one giving me a hard time...

Now to the tranny, it's done this before but not for a very long time. Maybe last summer a bit. From a stop, it won't shift past 1st and sometimes 2nd. This happened to me today, i pulled over moved the shifter from park all the way back to 1-2 and back to drive and it got me home. I've checked the fluid levels and it's all good. I just don't understand what it could be as automatic transmitions are a level of tech knowledge i have yet to attempt.

Thanks for all your help, any advice is appreciated!

Back