• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full width disc brake help

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
so i am installing a ford 3/4 ton D44 and D60 in the xj soon. i am converting the rear to 3/4 ton disc brakes. i have been searching around and there isnt much tech on the bigger axles so i figured i would throw this out there for anyone who has any experience with them.

my xj is a 1998 with all stock braking components. what do i need to upgrade or change to successfully run the 3/4 ton discs front and rear? MC, prop valve, booster?

It is really going to depend on what you chose for calipers. Those twin piston Ford fronts will require a lot of fluid. Or you could swap over to 3/4 ton single piston Chevy's up front (which is what you'll likely be running in the rear anyway).
This thread will be of some help to you. Link: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575345

Last edited:
im debating on leaving the stock ford double pistons in the front and running the 75 k20 3/4 ton discs in the rear. if i want to put the chevy discs in the front do i need to change the spindle or anything?

I've got chevy single piston calipers front and rear on my 78 F-250 44/60. I went with chevy flat top knuckles and spindles up front, as I couldn't find any way to use the ford knuckles with chevy brakes. I'm running the stock 89 XJ booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. The jury is still out on whether or not the stock parts are adequate for the 3/4 ton brakes.

well i think i can make the front 3/4 ton brakes work and i will probly get those rear discs. so how does yours brake with all the stock parts? i might just throw the grand cherokee prop valve on and see how that goes

alright cool. this is the only dilemna i am seeing with the whole build

Back