• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Ground

liljoe71

NAXJA Forum User
This is just a lessons learned thread. I had an issue with my wife's 99 Jeep not starting. It started when we walked out of Wally World and tried to start it. I got a click and then all lights and gauges turned off. There was no power anywhere. Some guy tried to give me a boost and I told him its not the battery. Maybe the starter since I had changed it about a month ago with a rebuilt from O'Reilly's. Since it was dark getting late (~11PM) I had my son help me tow it home about 1 mile away. Did some testing at home with voltage meter, checked fuses, all good there. The next day and took off the starter, had it tested, all good there. Went back and installed it and then proceeded to check my cables. I noticed that the previous owner had cut the OEM battery cables and replaced the terminals. Well the ground cables were a bit loose from the terminal, I proceeded to remove and reseat cables and retighten. Jumped in the XJ and started her right up. Lessons learned is always check your cables and grounds. Now the next thing to do is order some of them nice heavy duty custom made cables with some good terminals. One more thing, my woman is happy she gets her XJ back.
Lil Joe

Back