• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New jeep getting ready to lift.

Keenphis

NAXJA Forum User
Well I sold my YJ about six months ago and now I bought a XJ with a bag of goodies.
So here the deal. 94 two door sport, 4.0, D30 front 8.25 rear. Jeep alone costed 1500 with 149,00 on the OD. Previous owner offerd to sell a 6" full traction long arm kit, skid plate and a set of 35" goodyear MTR's for an aditional 2,000. So of course I could not say no.
I have been contemplating on wether or not to build the rig with the current axels and regrear them to 4.56 or if I should just hold off and find a D44 or 8.8 for the rear. I will be putting a selectible locker in the rear more than likely but I am not quite sure of which one.
I know I will need a SYE and a few other odd and ends but overall I am wondering if the axels can hold up to 35's or not.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

It all depends on how much skinny pedal you plan on using. I've known guys that have run 35's on locked D30 front & 8.25 rear combo for years and never had a problem.

Do your self a favor and lock both axles. You'll significantly reduce the amount of skinny pedal you'll need if you plan to wheel it hard. Not to mention broken parts.

Assuming it's stock, that 1994 has the 27 spline 8.25 rear. Not much better than a D35. As was stated previously, it all depends how hard you wheel it...if you want to be able to push it and not worry as much, I'd start with replacing that rear axle....you can polish up a D30 though....

You can either build up the existing diffs to handle 35's (quite spendy but easy to do) or you can track down a set of D44's or a front D44 and rear 8.8 (spendy and lots of work to do). Your reliability could be better with the D44/8.8 combo. An 8.25 can live a long life with 35's with alloy axles and a full case locker and a D30 can also live well with 35's if you use alloys, truss it, install a super strong diff cover, and cryo the ring and pinion. You'll want 4:88's for 35's.

Back