• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having tracking down a nasty front end shake

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
EDIT: Having TROUBLE tracking down a front end shake (I'm retarded)

87 MJ 4x4 AW4 231 4.5" Drop Brackets Adj. Arms Rock Krawler Steering D30 w/ Aussie

A few weeks ago I drove the truck 2 hours up to RC and it ran nice and smooth at highway speeds and everything felt fine. While wheeling, my trans died. I got strapped a good distance out to the parking lot. Blew the front pass. side tire bead on the way out. Put spare on. Put the truck on a trailer and took it home. Had a friend strap me a couple miles to the trans shop where they rebuilt the trans and gave it back to me.

Now I have a nasty shake at 45+ mph. I pulled the front D/S but it made no difference. The tie rod, drag link, track bar, sway bar, control arms all seem nice and tight.

The shake seems to be getting worse, and now I hear a chirping sound that goes along with the shake. Definately seems to be coming from the front end - I'm pretty sure the rear D/S and axle are fine.

The only thing I can think of is wheel bearings or u-joints. If that is the case, how do I check them?

What do you guys think?

First thing i would do is inspect the ujoints because i wouldn't want one to blow up on me while im driving. Its pretty noticeable if they're ready to go or not, especially if they have not been greased and rusted for awhile. Try moving the shaft around while its parked -- there shouldn't be any play, caps may even be damaged.

Do you still have the spare on?

Back