• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 to np242 tc swap help

99sportxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I just pulled a np242 out of a 94 xj auto. Will this np242 fit a 96 xj auto with a np231? Can I just put the 242 in place of the 231 w/o problems? What would i need? Please let me know asap.

Thanks for the help in advance

It's doable. They mount to the transmission the same way, and the front output mounts are also the same, however the rear output mount was changed in 1996 so you might need a different driveshaft. Look at your existing setup to see if there is a rubber bootie where the driveshaft and transfer case meet, if not then you are good to go, but if so then you will need a pre-96 driveshaft from a vehicle that has the same rear axle and transmission (including 4WD vs 2WD).

Once that is resolved you may also need to swap speedometer assembly from the 231 to the 242 (I don't recall if it changed in 1996). You'll also need to mess with the wiring to get the dashboard light to work--see this thread.

Make sure the input gears are the same too. You can swap the one from your 231 to the 242 though if needed. I'd simply take both apart and swap the input gear and any output parts needed to make it work with your existing driveshaft if there is a difference. I've done the swap both ways and did the input gear. Make sure you get the 242 shifter bezel and lever for inside the cab also.

Thanks, could I use a driveshaft from a 92 that has a np231 tc?

The transfer case model does not affect the driveshaft part number. The factors are:

rear axle (8.25 vs D35)
transmission type (manual vs automatic)
transmission output (4WD vs 2WD)
transfer case rear output (pre-96 vs 96-up)

If the 231 and the 242 are different rear outputs then your current driveshaft won't work

Back