• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK shocks in an XJ

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I just got a set of factory shocks from a 2009 JK Rubicon. I got them because I needed longer shocks for my RE 3.5" lift....and they were $20 for the set with only about 7,000 miles on them.

Anyway...2 issues...hope someone on here encountered this and can help.

1. The front shocks...the bottom has a rubber bushing with a metal grommet through it (a small one at that). To attach it to the XJ it needs to have one of those "bolt down bars" as I call them.

2. The rear shocks...the bottom has a rubber bushing with a metal grommet though it. The metal grommet is too small to slip over the bolt on the axle that the shock needs to attach to.

So my questions are as follows. For the front, what options do I have to get a "bolt down bar" in place of the metal grommet? For the rear, how can I get that metal grommet out in order to slide it over the axle bolt?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

a vice and sockets to get the metal grommet out ....and im doing the same thing but with the fronts im putting a spacer in b/c im on a 4.5 inch lift. do some searching on here and youll find the info.

BPE in the front, remove metal piece in the rear.

Hey y'all...

Thanks for the advise and the search help. I wanted to search this one out but wthout "Bar Pin" or "bar pin elimintor" I couldn't figure our the keywords.

These responses should be just the ticket.

Go with the Bar pin eliminators i just picked up a set for 23 bucks yesterday and im going to be installing my JK shocks tonight. With the BPE's you wont have to worry about trying to push sleeve's out and trying to push you bar pins back in. Here are the ones i just bought, i drove up yesterday and got them and they are very good quality
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbarpin.html

Go with the Bar pin eliminators i just picked up a set for 23 bucks yesterday and im going to be installing my JK shocks tonight. With the BPE's you wont have to worry about trying to push sleeve's out and trying to push you bar pins back in. Here are the ones i just bought, i drove up yesterday and got them and they are very good quality
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbarpin.html
Just a update for people you might want to be careful when buying these. Im local to rocky road so i just drove there and got mine,but when i went to put them on today the do not fit on my 96XJ with stock front 30 axle. They are to wide and you can only get the front hole(closest to the axle) to align then the other hole does not even come close to lining up:smsoap: So i took the BPE and grinded down the one side thinking maybe i could get it to slide forward more so the other hole would match up but that didnt even work! You can only take off so much on one side because you have to leave room for the bolt. So i drove back to rocky road and talked to them and he said that the new design is universal made to fit several different jeeps and some have different mounting option for BPE's than others depending on the manufacturing date and they are trying to figure that out? He said he has a buddy who just put them on a 93XJ with 0 problems they bolted right up and the guy i talked to owns a 96XJ just like mine and his fit perfect to? He said this is something they will look into and see if the can change somethings so they fit all mounting options. Their customer service was outstanding they didn't even hesitate to refund my money even though i had grinded one side of one of the mounts off. So just a heads up if you buy these its a 50-50 chance they will bolt right up. The quality of the BPE's was great sure wish they would have fit mine

Back