• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to determine transmission year?

MJEEPMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently build up a 86 manche and its drivetrain now is a 2.5l tbi engine with the ax4 transy. I have a new 2.5 pfi engine built for high compression to get more horseys. I also have a ax5 I am going to attempt to rebuild myself... FIRST MANUAL transy rebuild. lol My problem comes in because I don't know what year the doner jeep was that I strip my transy out of. I know it was a pre 90 jeep. I am not sure if knowing that will help cause it was a offroading jeep and I don't know if it was original. If some one could tell me where to find the man date on the transy that would prob be a good help. Thanks , Andrew

not sure about your AX-5, but my AX-15 has a stamp on the bottom of it right in the bellhousing. It has a serial number of sorts and in the serial number is the last two digits of the year.

I'll go looked but is it on the bell housing or the transy. Cause my bell housing is from the old transy I pulled out with the new built 2.5 (transy was only 2wd) and I swaped the bell housing from my doner ax5 jeep which was a v-6 4x4 cherokee. I just swaped the two bell housings over to bolt it up to my 2.5.

Back