• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wire burnt by header. now what?

jeeper98xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i noticed these wires resting agianst my header and right a way i knew it was bad. melted right down to the wires so now the wires are real nice and brital so i taped them up for a quick fix but i really need to fix it what and how should i fix it. do these wires have something to do with calculating air fuel mixture? idk just a guess.
P2070748.jpg

That would be your oxygen sensor wires, so yeah, they play a huge role in your fuel mixture. I blew a pcm from mine kissing the borla before(esp if it's the 12v heater wire grounding out there). IMO, those wires should be 6" longer so it doesn't have to be taut between the ps pump and motor mount.

Easy enough -

- Patch wires, giving an extra 2-3 inches.
- Route wires near original location.
- Figure a retention means to keep wires away from header primary.
- Return to service.

Alternative -
- Fabricate heat shield for header primary (should be about an inch away from primary tube surface.) Retain with convenient screws that are not screws to retain the header/intake manifold!
- Patch wires, leaving enough extra to pass over the heat shield.
- Retain wires to stay on opposite side of heat shield from primary tube
- Return to service.

IMHO solder the connections and use heat-shrink tubing + tape rather than butt connectors.

After repairs . Maybe disconnect temp sensor and reroute UNDER the O2 cable and maybe a ziptye/tyerap together 1 inch out from plastic rail to help clearance.

Joe is right on target-
Solder is FAR better than mechanical splices. No matter what quality/brand mechanical splice, sometimes they just don't make a good connection. EACH and EVERY ONE MUST BE PULL TESTED. There will be a 'fail to hold', now and then, absolutely for sure.

Here's what mine looked like...
PB130198.jpg

On my '96, there was enough slack to reroute over PS assembly to keep it away from the "hotness."

Steve

Back