• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what could this be?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 cherokee sport 4.0 HO auto aw4 np231 and i have noticed when i am going like 55 then when i let off the throttle you will hear it tick/click and if you keep your foot on the peddle just right it will keep doing it. does anyone have any idea of what this is?

A lot of posts on this, sounds like it might be normal--could it be you are just hearing the EVAP purge solenoid under certain throttle/road conditions? Those suckers can be pretty loud.

where is the purge solenoid at?
because i hear this noise coming right from under the gear shifter

Firewall, just to the right (passenger) side of the valve cover.

Some people have cut rubber to try and isolate the noise it makes.

you mean in between the seats like where the tranny is?
cuz my motor temp never gets above 210 and everything else is fine.
oh and joe when i get this b&m tranny cooler should i run a fan to it?

Vac.jpg

This guy. Inside the engine compartment, on the passenger side.

By the way, did you ever figure out what was throwing the evap code?

The arrow is actually pointing to the vacuum line that runs into the AC/heater box through the firewall. The valve is the cylindrical deal with the vacuum lines and electrical connector.

no not yet im not gonna worry about it right now im gonna drop the fuel tank and see if its the seal on top of the fuel tank for the (big evap leak) then for the small run a smoke test when i get the money

A lot of times a large leak will get you a code for a small leak too. You're not likely to find two leaks with one for each code.

Disconnect the solenoid shown above and drive it again, see if the noise is still there. Be prepared though you will get a code for that solenoid being disconnected.

To me it sounds like you're getting into the noise at trailing throttle when there's almost zero load on the rear driveshaft, so could be something in that area too. Try the solenoid disconnect first.

i know i have pissed you guys off lol but thanks a lot for helping me out ;)
and is the solenoid at the bottom of that plasting thing where that plug plugs into?

The component with the two plastic-ish vacuum lines and one electrical connector, hanging off a rubber grommet is the EVAP purge solenoid. They are known to click and clack. It is the part of the evaporative emissions system that distributes fuel vapors into the intake manifold when commanded by the PCM.

I haven't had evap issues, so I'm not sure (Mr Jacobs here or someone else will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong), but I think you can just disconnect that white harness from the valve. If I understand correctly, that valve, and the vacuum lines, draw vapor from the tank into the intake, so that you aren't venting unburned gas. (I'd have to check the diagram on the driver's side firewall that shows the evap system routing for the vacuum lines-hint hint), but I believe one of those lines comes from the tank.

You've got a strange noise that sounds (reads) like a noisy purge valve, you've got a code, and you haven't figured out what's throwing the code. I don't believe in coincidences, miracles, or lies.

I'd unplug the valve as suggested and see if you still have the noise. If you don't hear the noise, I would run the codes again, write down all the codes and any detailed info you can get, and then post up here.

You could test to see if it is functioning correctly, if not then salvage yard replacement.

Note: The noise means it is functioning, so noise is normal. As said, some have cut thick rubber "gaskets" and remounted the solenoid to muffle the sound.

so then what do i disconnect? i cannot see what to disconnect i just looked under the hood and cant see where it disconnects. and r u sure if its that it will sound like it is right under the gear selector.d

Noise transmits. Look at the picture, unplug the electrical connection--you will get a code--and then test drive it to see if the noise is gone.

He's already getting an evap code, by the way. Think a busted line to the manifold would amplify the clicking of the valve? I've never heard mine actuate, and have had no codes on it, so I'm not exactly sure what they should sound like.

Back