• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop sound under drivers seat

macrat123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone

I have a 99 xj with 140k miles. Anyway, I can feel/hear a slightly noticeable pop/stump sound under my feet whenever I hit the gas pedal from an idle position. It also does it when I come to a stop. It's seems like a loose bolt somewhere but I was hoping someone could point me towards the right direction. I was thinking to check my shocks and motor mounts but besides that I'm a little lost. I read that maybe I should put some grease in the slip yoke but I thought the sound of that is more a thunk. I can feel it around my feet sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

pop sound under the driver's seat? Don't eat so much Mexican food!

Seriously though, sounds like motor mounts and transmission mount like you were guessing. Also make sure your crossmember bolts and nuts are tight.

if its a sometimes clicking sound i had problems with my slip yoke slipping. it did it on stopping and accelerating. greasing it will quit it but no fix it.

To summarize the advice given... replace everything that contains a bushing until your rig stops making noise.

I had a similar, if not identical problem with my 99. I found that a small tightening of the front leaf spring bolt got rid of it right away. It must have just loosened up a bit. Give that a shot, especially if you've changed your leaf springs in the last year or so.

Hi Guys,

The problem was a loose bolt from the transmission mount. Don't know how it got loose, but was able to get several turns out of it. I also replaced the transfer case shifter linkage TSB which helped with an occasional rattle and pop sound on acceleration.

Good to hear it got fixed with the tcase mount bolt. I'm gunna go check mine cause I get some clunking when changing gears. I will say though, for people who try this but still have problems. Greasing the slip yoke is a very very common fix for this. Mine used to shutter from start and while stopping and it was the slip yoke. I used regular grease, it worked great for a week, and then it came back. I used antiseize as suggested by some members over at JeepForum and its been working great for 6 months and counting!! Who woulda thought....

And a question about that TSB. I bought the kit but whenever I try and loosen the bolts from within the cab, the "nuts" so to speak on the bottomside of the tranny tunnel holding the bracket in spin freely because they aren't grabbing anything, Did you run into this and if so how did you get it done??

Back