• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J Banging noise??

Rescuehoundemtd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Just bought a 1996 XJ. It has a new Jasper 4.0 and trans with 10k on them. I don't think the last three owners had ever put it in 4x4. Well I tried to and it seems to go into part time but as soon as I give it any gas it clanks, really hard. You can feel it in the steering wheel and the floorboards. I am thinking it is the t case. I believe it is chain driven, maybe loose chain or missing teeth. I also don't know if it is a 21 or 23 tooth splin? It is so horrific that I have only gone maybe five feet in 4 wheel. It does the same thing in four low. Seems to be even more pronounced when the wheel is turned. The truck runs and drives amazingly in 2 wheel drive. The truck has 174k on it but it seems to be in really good shape, no rust at all. I am still happy with the rig but I sort of feel as though I have a beautiful super model as a girl friend that I can't sleep with..... LOL I am afraid of what it is going to cost me. I did steal the Jeep but I just dont have it right now. Picked it up for $600. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a 96 will be a 23 spline shaft unless a pre-91 transmission/transfer case were installed. Your chain/gear tooth diagnosis sounds like it's on the right track - pull the fill/drain plugs on the transfer case (large allen key bolts or 31mm hex heads) and see if you can see/feel inside, I don't recall if you can.

If you mechanically inclined it wouldn't be that expensive. 231 transfercases are very plentiful and you can pick one up out of the junk yard for around $85.

I just called the only auto salvage place around here and they want $300!!! I almost fell over. There has to be a better option than that? Anyone have one they want to sell?

JESUS! That's quite insane.

I'm sure one of the PA guys or NJ guys probably has one hanging around. Post in the NAC classifieds subforum maybe?

Check the linkage first.
Could be that simple...:dunno:

Turning the wheel makes a difference?
Coincidence or the front axle is bad.
Are motor mounts all OK?

and in South Jersey, seems the older XJ's most often found in junk yards has the NP242.

I was going to rebuild mine, but found too much metal shavings inside once opened.
At that point, swapping was a more cost effective solution.
I'm almost done, check out my other thread if you like.

Last edited:
Back