• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Belt Squeal, Won't Stay Running, Need Advice

thestudmanken

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post here, so I'll try to give you all the info I can on my problem. Sorry for the length.

I have a 2000 XJ, 4.0L w/ AC that has been sitting for about a year (I was at school) and wasn't started during that time. When I went to start it, I had to jump it. I flushed my coolant then and had to jump it a few more times before I let it run for about an hour and the battery was charged again. I drove it around and it ran fine with no problems for 2 days. Then, last night when I went to start it, it turned over sluggishly and there was a loud squeal coming from the belt and would not stay running unless I held the gas in. I noted a few things while this was happening.

1. The voltage gauge was fluctuating between 9 - 11 volts and occasionally would drop below 9V and the Check Gauges light would come on.

2. The oil pressure was fine, as was the temperature.

3. A burning smell (bearings maybe?) was eminating from the left side, near the AC compressor and alternator pulleys.

I haven't pulled off the belt yet to check the pulleys, but that's my next step. Also, the belt looks to be in good shape with no glazing or cracking. If anyone has any insight into any other things I could check or if they've had this problem before, I would appreciate it as I have been looking forward to driving the Jeep for a while. Thanks.

Please remember that with the newer alts, the voltage regulator is inside, and when bosting, that will usually fry them. I think the manuals on this say that you must have at least 14 volts in the battery to keep from damaging the alt.

I have done this myself on a couple of vehicles, and usually with in a week, i had to replace the alt.

Sounds to me like you did some damage to it, and it is now hanging up, that is why the belt is making noise, and you have the burning smell.

Take it out, and take it to the local parts store, they should be able to test it for free. Take your battery down and have it tested and charged at the same time, or you will be doing this again as soon as the battery craps out.

Maybe others have ideas, but i would say thats what it is. Happy :repair:

sounds like the alt. is siezed up. hence the loud squeal, it is possible that the A/C is stuck but with the volt gauge reading low, my money is on the alt.

Back