• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase Swap Question

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer after a long search (I'll keep looking in the meantime). I have an '01 with the 231 and want to swap in a 242. I understand there was a change during the last years of production and want to know what years will swap in. My understanding is that the drive shafts (just one of them, I think) were different due to a change in the transfercases.

Getting a matching driveshaft(s) is certainly doable if necessary depending on what i can find locally.

Thanks

90 to 91, the spline count on the tranny output/TC input shaft changed. 95 to 96, the rear output design on the transfer case changed - on 95-down, the tailshaft housing has a seal on it which rides on the slip yoke. On 96-up, the tailshaft housing is much shorter and has a seal and oil slinger on the shaft, and there is a rubber bellows that keeps the grease in the splines on the slip yoke.

Thanks. So it looks like I should look for a '96-up tcase.

How about the floor shifter? I will get the console indicator for the 242 but is the linkage and/or handle different?

I'm still searching but will have to leave home soon and won't be back until late this afternoon. During the search I have found indications that reinforces the thought that I need the '96 and up Tcase for a bolt-in swap.

EDIT: this is not an emergency situation, just looking for the info so I can start aquiring the needed parts.

The shift gate is different, as is the console indicator you already mentioned. I'm not sure about the handle or linkage. The cabling and indicator lamp on the dashboard may also be different, but that's a minor issue.

Get a 97-01 242, the shifter bezel, the shift gate, and as much of the 242 wire harness as you can. The swap is bolt in.

Search and read the 242 swap threads for directions, the wire plugs and t-case sending units are different, 242 vs 231, but you can use the 242 wire harness you pulled to connect the 242 to your original wire harness and all the dashboard lamps will work correctly and indicate the 4x4 mode you are in. There is also an adapter P/N 56041612AA that Chrysler/Jeep sells that will adapt your 242 wire ti your 231 wire harness.

The shifter mechanism and drive shaft are the same 231 vs. 242.

standard.jpg

96-up is what you need and the only thing I didn't see above was the metal link that shifts the t-case also is different by part #.

Why would you want to do this? The 231 is far superior T-case. The 242 viscus couplers are prone to failure and is a much weaker unit internally overall. I'm just curious, maybe I'm missing something?

Why would you want to do this? The 231 is far superior T-case. The 242 viscus couplers are prone to failure and is a much weaker unit internally overall. I'm just curious, maybe I'm missing something?

The 242 does not have a viscous, it's an open diff. The 231 in stock form is just as weak as the 242. All failures I have seen both break in the same place, mainshaft at the speedo gear. The 231 you can get aftermarket upgrades though to make it stronger where you can't with the 242 (but you can get Hummer H1 stuff).

Your missing "Full Time", lol.

Last edited:
Yep, its the full-time option I'm after.

Its 20 miles (through the countryside) to work and I've driven it in 4HI several times over the last couple of years with my 231 (snowstorms, roads completely snow covered). Due to the winter weather conditions here, I have decided to swap the 231 out. My plan is to get the parts and swap it out this spring.

The viscous coupling mentioned, has me thinking: I've never looked at my 219 to see if it would fit. Hmmmmmmm.

The 242 does not have a viscous, it's an open diff. The 231 in stock form is just as weak as the 242. All failures I have seen both break in the same place, mainshaft at the speedo gear. The 231 you can get aftermarket upgrades though to make it stronger where you can't with the 242 (but you can get Hummer H1 stuff).

Your missing "Full Time", lol.

Can a full 242AMG from the Hummer be made to fit into and work in the XJ? If so, what needs to be changed?

Can a full 242AMG from the Hummer be made to fit into and work in the XJ? If so, what needs to be changed?

Yes but you'll loose 2wd unless you do some internal mods, oh and you'll loose the speedo gear driven sensor hole. What needs to be done depends on the year XJ it's going into and year H1 the t-case came out of. At minimum you'll need an appropriate input gear for your trans (and year t-case) and a bigger slip yoke (assuming it's a 94/95-up H1 t-case) with adapter u-joint for the rear driveshaft.

Yes but you'll loose 2wd unless you do some internal mods, oh and you'll loose the speedo gear driven sensor hole. What needs to be done depends on the year XJ it's going into and year H1 the t-case came out of. At minimum you'll need an appropriate input gear for your trans (and year t-case) and a bigger slip yoke (assuming it's a 94/95-up H1 t-case) with adapter u-joint for the rear driveshaft.

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. I don't mind not having 2wd.

This would actually be going into a 2001 TJ with an AW4 out of a '98 XJ. I thought the AMG case had a speedo gear hole, no?

I just found out Tom Wood is selling a SYE (hack n tap style) for the Grand Cherokee 242HD. I'll have to call them and see if they can do that with the 242 AMG.

I thought the AMG case had a speedo gear hole, no?

Not really. There were some military units that did but the civilian ones that had it 93-94 had the weaker shaft, all later ones do not, instead they use a hall effect sensor and tone wheel for speed.

What mods are required to get the 2wd position?

Thanks!

Dave

Basically the shift sector, differential (you'll have to seperate it and swap in a gear from the H1 diff to run the wide chain), and shift/lock collar from a Jeep 242.

How much lift do you have, Scott? Do you have any problems with the short driveshaft and steep angle?

4" worth of suspension 1" of body lift. Transfer is mounted to the stock skid plate and I do have 1" motor mount lift mounts. With that being said, I do not have any issues with vibs. The AW4/242 remains my favorite change.

Back