• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock rear shock mount relocation -

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've read everything I could on pinion angles. I've searched about rear shock mounts but I have not found my answer.

If I reset my rear pinion angle to corespond with the drive shaft angle (SYE - double cardan), it seems that the lower rear shock mounts will be at an angle that would cause binding on the bolt. Yet I haven't seen anthing about removing and relocating it to its previous geometry.

I don't want to go to Treks type mounts due to shock angle and possible exhaust interference.

Whats the scoop?

FNF

There's only one possible answer. You have to cut the mounts off and move them. If you have access to a cutting torch or plasma cutter, and a welder, it's a pretty simple job.

Darn Goatman, way to bust my bubble. I was hoping that the XJ magic fairy would have a cure for it that didn't include cut and paste.:bawl:

One thing you have to lookout for when you rotate the axle is you passenger side shock is in front of the axle and the drivers is in the rear. You could end up with the front too long and the rear too short.

Is it not possible to do like alot of people do with air shocks and coil overs and weld the brackets directly on the top of the axle tube and run a bolt through it and the shock eye?

Is it not possible to do like alot of people do with air shocks and coil overs and weld the brackets directly on the top of the axle tube and run a bolt through it and the shock eye?

Only if you like your shocks in the vehicle with you!

I'm not talking about running air shocks or anything like that for most people. I'm talking about the regular rear eyelet shocks that most companies include or sell as an option. So instead of having the bracket hanging down with the stud on it and pushing the shock on you put the shock in place and run a bolt through it.

I don't think theres enough space for the shock above the axle unless your massively lifted and don't plan on compressing much or your shocks are almost horizontal and almost useless in the vertical direction. I would just rotate them around the tube, move them up enough to get them out of the way. I really like the jks system, Can't afford it so ill probably end up copying it home made style.

Back