• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.54 gears on a Rubi air locker?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 44 out of an 89 MJ that I'm building, and it needs new differential bearings, not a problem I've done them before. I also have sights on a Rubi front air locker out of an 04 TJ for a good price, that I would like to throw in there at the same time. I know that a pre-Rubicon 44 can be modified to use a Rubi air locker, I'm not sure about the gears though.

I'm not ready to regear yet so thats out of the question, I'm stuck with 3.54s for the time being. It is my understanding that Rubi air lockers are the same size as a 3.54 carrier, so I should be able to use regular Dana 44 3.54 gears with out any issue, is this true?

I've heard about guys being able to use Rubicon gears on differentials that were meant for 3.07, 3.55, etc gears, when they want to go 4.10 and deeper, and not need to buy a new differential. Just want to know if the reverse can be applied.

If your question is "can I use a carrier/locker meant for 3:73+ gears for 3:54 gears, I don't think you can. They make thicker ring gears for use with a 3:55 - carrier but they don't make thin ring gears to go the other way. You will not be able to fit the gears into the case because they will be too close to the pinion gear. I suggest trading the locker for one designed for 3:55-.

No, I'm asking specifically about a Rubicon locker. They use 4.10-5.13 thick cut gears, but you can't use regular 44 4.10-5.13 gears without a spacer. Spacers that, to my knowledge, were made so guys with carriers meant for 3.73 and numerically lower gears, to be able to run deeper gears with out needing to buy a new carrier.

What I am ultimately trying to find out, is the rubicon locker, the same size as a 3.73 and numerically lower gear carrier, allowing me to use standard 3.54 gears?

I believe what you are wanting to do will work. But, the bolt holes on the Rubi locker are 7/16", I think, vs 3/8". Your ring gear will accept a smaller bolt than the locker carrier. I think you can get a bolt hole spacer/reducer from Randy's Ring and Pinion that will reduce the 7/16" to 3/8".

Well, never mind, I just called Randy's Ring and Pinion, and was able to confirm what I wanted to know.

Rubicon lockers can run any gear set from 2.73 to 5.13. Standard gears for 3.73 and numerically lower, thick cut for 4.10 to 5.13, with no modifications

Back