• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 2 vs. 3 core radiator

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing my radiator this weekend and am debating between a 2 or a 3 core radiator from radiatorbarn. I ran a 3 core in my '01 w/33's and stock gearing and it seemed to cool pretty we'll except at slower speeds the temp would climb a bit even with a zj HD fan clutch. On my '99 I'm running 32's and it will see the trails every now and then but mostly be a DD. will the 2 core offer better flow across the cores as opposed to a 3 core? I see that the specs on the 2 core internal core size is 1x5/16 while the 3 core is 1x13/16. So the cores are definitely bigger in the 3, just wondering if 2 row will cool more efficiently?

Thanks in advance guys

I am no expert on this topic, but ....
The issue is cooling and not only flow of coolant but flow of air as well. The overall dimensions of the radiator opening are a constant. You can improve exposed surface area to cool by increasing the individual tube size and/or increasing the number of tubes.

Sounds like the 3 core does both. There is another factor to consider. How are the tubes aligned? if they are in line inlet to outlet, the third row isn't going to help much in heat transfer as the ones in front are keeping it at temp. In other words the difference in inlet temperature at the third row and the temp of the coolant isn't as great as it is in the first row.

If the 3 rows are staggared to maximize the radiator inlet temp to coolant temp difference, then how much space is available for air flow? It would be blocked to some extent reducing air flow and reducing heat transfer.

So without all the dimensions associated with both radiators, it is difficult to answer your question definitively. I stuck with the 2 row core and really haven't had a problem as long as all the other componants are good. Even with a t-stat of 195.

I don't have any of the other dimensions or knowledge of how they are staggered. I'm assuming one right behind the other. Mind boggling. LOL. The 3 core always sounds better but I'm assuming the two core would allow for better cooling across the entire surface area of the radiator.

I have the 3 row, all metal from radiatorbarn in mine, and even when wheeling at temps over 105 degrees with the A/C on, and crawling all day, it has never even come close to running hot.

How about in the cold? It routinely gets well below zero out here in the winter. I'm sure that even with a good thermostat the temps would drop pretty heavily on the bigger radiator.

This is semi-related to the topic. My buddy's radiator on his 98 has cracked on him where the plastic tank meets the rest of the radiator. Where can I get a CSF radiator for him at a good price? He priced an OEM one and they said $240 bucks!

I've never heard anybody complain that the 2-core didn't get the job done so I ordered it and saved the $35. I'm probably going to install it this week.

Back