• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix EGR valve tube cracked(fixable?)

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
I think the tube from exhaust manny to intake is cracked. Priced one out on line 52.00 dollars, kind of pricey for a 6 inch bent pipe.You think JB Weld or something like it can hold up to the heat to repair this pipe?

a buddy broke an EGR tube on his vehicle. while not an XJ, he tried patching it up with JBweld too. he found that the heat simply burnt it all off. i think we found a JBweld type substance at a local welding shop that had a very high heat tolerance. i forget the name though. it was rather pricey, and in the end he opted to simply replace the tube and be done with it.

Any chance you could just form your own from copper/stainless? I'm a renix idiot, but it seems to me you could probably patch something up. Also, I looked through my 88-90 parts catalog and came up with part number 3300 2871 which seems to be approx the price you listed. However, googling resulted in this site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze12467u/id47.html

They claim to have an aftermarket repro part for $10, sounds like it might be worth a try. Also looks like it could be readily fabricated from a little ~3/8" or 5/16" SS tubing, a flaring kit, and a few flare nuts.

I noticed your in CA. I know that emissions are a big issue for you guys down there, and the physical inspection of emissions devices that have been "hack repaired" might fail you. I'm not sure how closely they look, but that's something to consider if you have to pass emissions.

Pull it, take it to a muffler shop and have them patch it up for you.

My pick-n-pull junk yard probably would only charge me a buck for it, try the JY.

Moderator said:
Emission modifications are illegal in all 50 states.

DO NOT post up about how to bypass federally mandated parts. If you do so, you will receive an infraction.

Does fail-and-crush worry you?

We have an EPA that is out of control. We have a man-made Global Warming/Man-Made Climate Change emergency. We are going to suffer for it.

If you don't have CA style emissions testing--don't worry, coming soon to a location near you.

EPA mandated auto death-panels with JEEP written in bold letters at the top of the list.

I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean the government isn't out to get me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does fail-and-crush worry you?

We have an EPA that is out of control. We have a man-made Global Warming/Man-Made Climate Change emergency. We are going to suffer for it.

If you don't have CA style emissions testing--don't worry, coming soon to a location near you.

EPA mandated auto death-panels with JEEP written in bold letters at the top of the list.

I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean the government isn't out to get me.
that was my post edited after i asked about the forbidden. nevermind.
Its funny in my US Govt class in college yesterday we were talking about what free speech was. I guess if we are paranoid about the EPA bringing the big Federal guns out on us for simply discussing a topic that does not harm anybody or refer to overthrowing the country, they have won and we are no longer allowed free speech.
I was merely asking if it would operate correctly. I WAS NOT ADVOCATING doing anything illegal. It was a matter of engine design theory. I guess ill keep my illegal thoughts and discussions to the garage and off the internet.:soapbox:

Any discussion like that I've seen or participated in always leads to argument, debate, dumb posts and a locked thread

In my personal opinion, since you're allowed to upgrade with more recent model year stuff (or does that only apply to the engine?), you could probably stick a 97/98/99 exhaust system on it and forget all about the EGR valve system. I could be wrong though, I am not very familiar with the smog nazis.

that was my post edited after i asked about the forbidden. nevermind.
Its funny in my US Govt class in college yesterday we were talking about what free speech was. I guess if we are paranoid about the EPA bringing the big Federal guns out on us for simply discussing a topic that does not harm anybody or refer to overthrowing the country, they have won and we are no longer allowed free speech.
I was merely asking if it would operate correctly. I WAS NOT ADVOCATING doing anything illegal. It was a matter of engine design theory. I guess ill keep my illegal thoughts and discussions to the garage and off the internet.:soapbox:
Cry me a river. :rattle:

Any discussion like that I've seen or participated in always leads to argument, debate, dumb posts and a locked thread

Max nailed it on the head. You suggested removing the tube and blocking it off, which IS illegal, which is why I edited your comment.

The tube is easily replaced with a junkyard part, a new part, or can repaired by either a competent welder/exhaust shop.

:conceited

Technically an aftermarket header without a bung is illegal for that application. The way you deal with it is to weld a bung on it and do it right. Being too cheap or too lazy to do it right isn't an excuse.

Everybody seems to think that the law only applies to other people. :conceited

In theory, the only way to get around the EGR would be to do a newer engine swap and take it to a ref.
Otherwise it is illegal to remove or modify any type of emission devices. Or in the case of cali, live somewhere that they do not require smog inspection!

In theory, the only way to get around the EGR would be to do a newer engine swap and take it to a ref.
Otherwise it is illegal to remove or modify any type of emission devices. Or in the case of cali, live somewhere that they do not require smog inspection!
Somewhere in Cali that does not require smog inspection? not sure that exists.
I lived in 29 Palms for a year, would move there in a heartbeat if it was financially viable. Lived in Petaluma (nothern San Fran Bay) would never move there again.....
But i think the whole state is locked down in an EPA dictatorship.
Thanks though. thats all i was looking for. Either update or its a no go.

Most Northern counties, and some in the san diego -ish area you only have to smog upon change of ownership.

It's not always that easy to replace this if your Jeep is very old and rusty. I gave up trying to get the fittings off on my 87 for fear of destroying the manifold, and ended up crimping it over. I intended to fix it later because the manifold had a bit of a crack, but never bothered. My bad, I know, my little contribution to the brown mountain state, I'm headed for hell anyway, but it worked, and the Jeep never knew the difference. The Jeep is long gone, so there is no evidence. If any feds are reading this, I just lied. I never ever would even consider fudging an emission control.....:greensmok

I once used an "air tube repair kit" to fix my EGR tube, after multiple fails with JB and other steel adhesives. It was this green rubber-ish tube intended to be used for repairing a catalytic converter air tube(which i don't really know what that is). It's just a tube and hose clamps, and amazingly it holds up to the heat of exhaust gasses from the header. I think it was about 20 bucks ordered from napa, which is certainly less than a brand new tube, but I suppose you still might find a jy one cheaper.

Back