• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those who have a 4.5 lift

Jeepcrush4

NAXJA Forum User
Did you need to get a longer rear driveshaft if you didn't install a SYE? I know you can install a front CV driveshaft. Just interested in knowing if anyone got away with NO SYE and reused their rear driveshaft.

I didn't need one with my 5" ish lift '90XJ... for the most part I ran the D35, using an auto shaft with an AX-15 trans... in other words I technically used a DS that was shorter than my stock shaft. I didn't have any vibes till around 70-75mph. no TC drop. felt the same with the Dana 44 rear. then of course, I changed everything, but that is my past experience.

idk how it ruins the engine mounts but ok.. i just did 1x2 square tubing and got 1" longer bolts. on my 2000 i had to relocate my body side mount cause my linkage would bind up on a bolt and that was my only fix.

i'll give you an update in 6 months and let you know how its doing =)

I thrashed two sets of motor mounts just by running 35's, with 3.07 gears, and actually wheeling it. No TC drop needed. When this set breaks, I'm getting beefier mounts.

If your driveshaft seems short, get the shaft out of a manual. I believe it's about an inch longer than the auto shaft.

That's the thing. This is a daily driver and I just want to install it all one time while I'll have access to a lift. I'd rather avoid any suprises and do a one shot deal.

I ran my 92 for a couple of years on 4.5-5" of lift with no sye and no t/c drop without any problem.

my 89 run's fine with 4.5 lift. I do have transfer drop but no vibes at all. I plan on going to 5.5" of lift before I do the SYE. I have heard the older XJ's arn't as bad with vibes as the newer one's

At 3" of lift the spline engagement at the T-case for me was getting iffy. I swapped in a Dana 44 which had a longer pinion and gave me about another 3/4 inch of engagement. I eventually went with an SYE about the same time I was moving up to 4.5

While you can likely "get away with it", on the street, check on the engagement before you wheel it hard. . .

If you want to do it all at once, install an SYE with the lift and get it over with. Tcase drop changes the angle of the powertrain and binds the motor mount bushings. A longer rear drive shaft may or may not work (every jeep is different) and you will need to do geometry to determine proper length (search for 'hypotenuse'). An SYE makes all this moot and is the correct fix

^ What ehall said....

Besides, your profile says you have a '97.... Tailcone is shorter than all who replied above.

If you don't want issues, then install an SYE and be done with it.

I found that the inside of the splined end wears really funny without the sye installed. This leads to a comprimised contact area and vibrations later on.Not to mention a very weak link!

i have a 4.5inch rusty's and it have never had any problems with the rear drive shaft...i dont wheel that much but whenever i do i havent had any problems

I have a 2000(8.25 axle) with about 3.5-4.0" in the back, no TC drop, and don't need an SYE. Once in a while, if I shift to 4wd while at a fairly high speed(above 30 mph) the vibes kick in. If I stop then go again then won't start up.

I still intend to do an SYE at some point, but if you're short on money try it without. I did and it's fine.

I've got a '96 with a 231 and 8.25". I only went with a RE 3.5" lift, and had vibes so bad when I drove it home from the shop that I called up Tom Wood as soon as I got home and ordered a HD SYE, driveshaft, and shims. The vibes weren't minor by any means -- they were terrible. As soon as the new parts were installed, the vibes disappeared. I guess it is hit or miss if you need that stuff, but I sure did.

I've got a '96 with a 231 and 8.25". I only went with a RE 3.5" lift, and had vibes so bad when I drove it home from the shop that I called up Tom Wood as soon as I got home and ordered a HD SYE, driveshaft, and shims. The vibes weren't minor by any means -- they were terrible. As soon as the new parts were installed, the vibes disappeared. I guess it is hit or miss if you need that stuff, but I sure did.

What did the driveshaft run you?

Back