PDA

View Full Version : water pump?

poomero
January 5th, 2010, 10:58
Im going to be replacing my water pump this week and was wondering if there is an upgraded one i can put in. If you have any info let me know. thanks for the help. i have a 90 xj 4.0

fubar XJ
January 5th, 2010, 13:10
Flowkooler and Hesco are two that come to mind. They both move more water than a stock one, for reasons I can't remember most people think the Hesco one is a better unit. Of course, I found that out after buying a Flowkooler. :dunce:

I've had no issues in the 2 years and 15K miles that I ran the Flowkooler pump. Paid about $125 for it IIRC, which is three times the price of a stock one if that's a factor for you.

jeeperjohn
January 5th, 2010, 14:51
The Hesco pump has a billet aluminum impeller designed to move water more efficiently. The Flowkooler has a stamped steel impeller with a metal disk on the engine side that is supposed to make it more efficient. I run a flowkooler and I can't say it is much better than stock. The Hesco is mucho expensive and the Flowkooler is about twice what stock costs.

DeathValleyPaul
January 6th, 2010, 18:25
I am very happy with my Flowkooler pumps. I am sure I would be just as happy with a Hesco pump. Using a flowkooler closes that issue altogether, as a weak point. They do recommend having a spring in your lower hose, but I haven't found a mfg that makes one with a spring, nor have I had any problems not having the spring.

iwannadie
January 16th, 2010, 10:44
I am very happy with my Flowkooler pumps. I am sure I would be just as happy with a Hesco pump. Using a flowkooler closes that issue altogether, as a weak point. They do recommend having a spring in your lower hose, but I haven't found a mfg that makes one with a spring, nor have I had any problems not having the spring.

I have the hesco pump and no problems staying cool in the Arizona heat. I also have a lower radiator hose with the spring in it. I got it from the jeep dealer no problem. I figure if that water pump is doing its job at high way speeds I don't want the lower hose collapsing on me.

winterbeater
January 16th, 2010, 12:59
We had one thread about a year ago where the poster had a Hesco billet pump that had big voids in it from corrosion or electolysis or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but that should come up in a search.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982497&highlight=Hesco+water+pump

joe_peters
January 19th, 2010, 01:10

As one of the posters mentioned after you, the dealer was still carrying them for awhile, but I don't think they are available from the dealer anymore. This topic comes up more during the summer when posters are complaining about overheating at highway speeds, when the air flow should be keeping things cool.

I was wondering if the universal "ribbed" type of hose would be a good alternative--those are stiff as hell and the ribs won't allow it to collapse.

jeeperjohn
January 19th, 2010, 08:24
I was wondering if the universal "ribbed" type of hose would be a good alternative--those are stiff as hell and the ribs won't allow it to collapse.
I think you're right. Those hoses are built with wire inside the rubber IIRC.

fubar XJ
January 19th, 2010, 09:12
I swapped the lower hose spring from the old one to the new one the last time I replaced the hose. As long as it's not just a piece of rust, it should be re-usable.

Otter
January 19th, 2010, 09:52
x2 on Hesco. i also swapped in the thermostat housing and balanced thermostat with the new pump. temp stays stable (205) longer now. that was 3 yrs ago - no probs since.

iwannadie
January 19th, 2010, 10:24
x2 on Hesco. i also swapped in the thermostat housing and balanced thermostat with the new pump. temp stays stable (205) longer now. that was 3 yrs ago - no probs since.

I did the same actually(hesco water pump, high flow thermostat housing, balanced thermostat and 3 core radiator) and was over cooling a lot in the winter, fine in the summer. I swapped out the thermostat for one from the dealer now and I get up to very 210 quickly and it's stable.

iwannadie
January 19th, 2010, 10:26
As one of the posters mentioned after you, the dealer was still carrying them for awhile, but I don't think they are available from the dealer anymore. This topic comes up more during the summer when posters are complaining about overheating at highway speeds, when the air flow should be keeping things cool.

Do you know when they seemed to stop carrying them? I bought mine a few years ago and like I've said it seems to make sense to me to have that spring(or some reinforcement).

joe_peters
January 19th, 2010, 11:58
Do you know when they seemed to stop carrying them? I bought mine a few years ago and like I've said it seems to make sense to me to have that spring(or some reinforcement).

Check with your local dealer if he can find one with the spring. Seems like it was this past summer the topic came up a number of times, and a poster stated that the hose w/spring had been discontinued by Chryco but his dealer located one and was having it shipped in for him.

When this came up last summer I tried locating a SS spring of the correct OD, figured we could "roll our own" but my internet searches didn't turn anything up.

Again, I think the universal ribbed hose would be the way to go.

joe_peters
January 19th, 2010, 12:01
Hey Poomero: got a project for you. How about emailing Hesco and Flow Kooler and see if they will give you the flow rates for their pumps at different RPMs--I think the highest flow at lower RPMs would be the way to go.

poomero
January 19th, 2010, 18:35
Hey Poomero: got a project for you. How about emailing Hesco and Flow Kooler and see if they will give you the flow rates for their pumps at different RPMs--I think the highest flow at lower RPMs would be the way to go.

Im going to do that tomorrow am. i will post if the give any info back.

poomero
January 20th, 2010, 09:14
this is what the Hesco guy said.

The water pumps flow at the same rate as a stock pump only without the cavitation a stock impeller creates by not filling the entire cavity behind the pump. The pump flows 25% more volume with out an increase in pressure.

joe_peters
January 28th, 2010, 14:33
this is what the Hesco guy said.

The water pumps flow at the same rate as a stock pump only without the cavitation a stock impeller creates by not filling the entire cavity behind the pump. The pump flows 25% more volume with out an increase in pressure.

Thanks for passing along the info. Did you contact FlowKooler too?

sjx40250
January 28th, 2010, 15:18
I have a FlowKooler in my 90. Put it in 120k miles ago. I went through 2 pumps before it. Quote from the FlowKooler site:
"FlowKooler hi flow water pumps push twice the coolant through the system at these lower speeds and help the engine transfer the heat."

sjx40250
January 28th, 2010, 15:20
More:
"FlowKooler, manufacturers of the original high flow automotive water pump has increased the number of impeller blades from eight to 16 blades on many of the most popular pumps. This patented MiraKool 16 (M-16) design increases the low RPM flow rates of the pumps. FlowKooler impellers more than double the water flow rate at idle and return to conventional output at 3,500 rpms."

Here: http://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/info/mirakool.shtml
Yes Jeep is included.

joe_peters
January 28th, 2010, 18:40
More:
"FlowKooler, manufacturers of the original high flow automotive water pump has increased the number of impeller blades from eight to 16 blades on many of the most popular pumps. This patented MiraKool 16 (M-16) design increases the low RPM flow rates of the pumps. FlowKooler impellers more than double the water flow rate at idle and return to conventional output at 3,500 rpms."

Here: http://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/info/mirakool.shtml
Yes Jeep is included.

Unfortunately, the pumps for the 4.0 ARE NOT equipped with the new impeller, contacted sometime back and there is a clearance issue so the new impeller WILL NOT be available for the 4.0.

Talyn
January 28th, 2010, 19:08
Get the Hesco or strock. The flowkooler is a stock pump with a plate riveted on the impellers.

gradon
January 28th, 2010, 19:19
No one recommended which year stock pump to go with--doesn't one of the newer ones work better('99 or '00,iirc)?

Talyn
January 28th, 2010, 20:17
the 2000 does... but it may be because it flows the opposite direction... but not sure on that.. something hazy in my memory about it.

poomero
January 29th, 2010, 17:54
i am just going to go with a stok one for now because i drive the jeep once a month. i will up grade later if i need to. i cant justify spending the money right now. thanks for all the help though guys.

joe_peters
January 29th, 2010, 20:16
i am just going to go with a stok one for now because i drive the jeep once a month. i will up grade later if i need to. i cant justify spending the money right now. thanks for all the help though guys.

Just buy a new pump, never a reman.

poomero
January 29th, 2010, 20:26
yeah i got a new one. i dont like reman stuff.

joe_peters
January 29th, 2010, 21:40
yeah i got a new one. i dont like reman stuff.

:D :D :D :D :D

blondejoncherokee
January 30th, 2010, 11:16
yah i made the mistake of buying a reman carquest pump 3-4 years ago. it was like 40$. i will say that bang for the buck 40$ for 3 years isnt too bad, but knock on wood. i wish i bought a napa brand new unit. i regret it cuz i know itll die out eventually. i also did the upper and lower hoses, (spring in the lower too, found a spring in a junkyard hose) new radiator, new thermostat, bled out air, and added lebaron hood vents. the thing never over heats and runs almost too cool (around 190ish) even with the 195 thermostat. also have the e-fan switch routed to the dash so i can leave it on when wheeling...

Talyn
January 30th, 2010, 14:49
FYI the only place I can find a lower hose with a spring is the dealer. Its worth it.