• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who rebuilds the 4.0?

Last edited:
I bought an ATK remanufactured engine back in 2005 shortly after purchasing my XJ and it ran great up until I had to sell it (my Cherokee) a few weeks ago. It came with a 3 year unlimited warranty free of charge and you could upgrade the warranty for an extra charge. The cost was around 2000 dollars. After pulling out the old motor, I put the old engine back in the shipping crate, called an 800 number and it was picked up free of charge the next day. I then received a 350 dollar core charge credit. So total cost was approx. 1700. Bottom line is the engine ran great, and passed smog with flying colors. Also, they had great customer service so I would recommend them. Randy

Don't forget about local shops that specialize in rebuilds. Get a few quotes and do your homework before deciding. Learn the difference between "rebuild" and "remanufactured".

Replacing with a salvage yard engine is also another economical option. Plug and play and you'll have less invested.

Is there a good book or write up on rebuilding a 4L? i have on in my 87 that is very very tired. Is a straight rebuild economical or is it worth doing a stoker?

Yeah, and the LKQ u-pull-it by me has a 30 day warranty on all parts.

which is fine, but I'm always afraid I may end up doing it twice - thereby not saving money or time, and if the second one was bad it would peg the suck-o-meter

Don't forget you can also get a factory stroker crate motor for it that is supposed to be a drop in w/factory warranty.

Don't forget you can also get a factory stroker crate motor for it that is supposed to be a drop in w/factory warranty.

How does that work? Go to the dealership?

Back