• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low budget build lift suggestions?

01greenxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
2001 xj sport
right now its lifted 2 inches from blocks and spacers
im wanting to get about 4 inches total
so heres the list
V8 zj coils
s10 bastard packs
cragar 15x8 397 series wheels
treadwright 30x9.50x15 MUDS
LCA drop brackets
v8 zj tie rod
TC drop
anything else?

well treadwright says tht the diameter of the 30x9.50x15 is 30.7 so its pretty much a 31 in tire

31's are still tiny. i run a 3.5" kit, which is really more like 4-4.5''ish, 31's looked funny, and were too small.. just sayin...

its cool and thanx but they r only 71 bucks and i like em and i think they will do fine right now i have 28's with a 2 in lift haha talk about funny lookin

well treadwright says tht the diameter of the 30x9.50x15 is 30.7 so its pretty much a 31 in tire
I would want to see one mounted before I believed that. Every "30" inch tire I've ever seen usually measured about 29" - 29.5" actual.
30.7" true is taller then a 31 x 10.50-15 BFG MT.

Two inches of lift is plenty for the 30x9.50 All you really need is about 3/4" spacer under the bump-stops to keep the tires out of the fender flares.

Also, the 8" wide rim is a little wide for the 9.50 tire size.
Here's a 30x9.50-15 on the stock 7" wide rim. Notice how the side wall is almost flat from the rim to the tread? If you go to an 8" wide rim, the sidewall will pull in from the rim, and it will be easier to unseat a bead.
IMG_0733.jpg

As a rule, you want the tread(not the overall width) to be as wide or wider then the rim. For the record, those are BFG ATs, 30x9.50-15(advertised) and measure 28 7/8" tall, with 7 1/2" tread face.

i went 4 inches and 33x10.50's with trimmed fenders on stock wheels. i have minor rubbing issues but its cause of the stock backspacing and i havent corrected my bump stops yet. i dont mind the rubbing all that much thou.

Last edited:
Also,if you run drop backets for the LCA's you need to drop the uppers too!
X2 on the 7" rims.

2001 xj sport
right now its lifted 2 inches from blocks and spacers
im wanting to get about 4 inches total
so heres the list
V8 zj coils
s10 bastard packs
cragar 15x8 397 series wheels
treadwright 30x9.50x15 MUDS
LCA drop brackets
v8 zj tie rod
TC drop
anything else?

i have a 2000 xj so basically the same setup.
i went with a used 4" lift coils from RE
came with tomken fixed LCA's
you will def need a adjustable track bar
then i went to the JY and got a set of 88 dodge dakota leaf's got those for 35 dollars on half priced weekend and gave me a solid 4" lift
TC drop kit wasnt a must but got rid of my mild vibes i had. keep in mind that when you lower the TC you will have to relocate the body mount too about 3/4" lower. mine bound up and i couldnt get into 4 low after the tc drop. i even tried to adjust the linkage, my problem was it was hitting a bolt head and there was no way past it
you will need new shocks as well.

and thats about it... thats all i had to do. ALSO, you might want to get some longer bolts for the steering bump stops so it doesnt rub your LCA's with slightly larger tires.

if your going to go 4" then i would suggest that you go larger than 31's.
Im right around 3 inches and have 31's but in my opinion they look too small.

jku15z.jpg

if i were you i would just do like the guys on jeepforum.com and do a 10" body lift with 84" extreme wood terrains =O
thats all from procomp by the way

31's are still tiny. i run a 3.5" kit, which is really more like 4-4.5''ish, 31's looked funny, and were too small.. just sayin...

if your going to go 4" then i would suggest that you go larger than 31's.
Im right around 3 inches and have 31's but in my opinion they look too small.

If looks are what you are going for, then so be it. Everyone has a different opinion to what looks "good."

However, 30's with a 4" lift is a great combo for wheeling. I had 31's with my RE 4.5" and it was the best. I could stuff the tire into the wheel well without any rubbing. Now that I went with 33's, I have to trim the fenders and add extra bump stops.

There was nothing I couldn't do with my 31's that I can do with my 33's. It's all about the tire placement.

I agree with the rim width also.

BTW - RE drop brackets drop the uppers and the lower control arms. I'm not sure about other brands though.

You'll need to get extended brake lines too.

E

I just went and looked at the Treadwright web page.
It looks like they might have a mis-print. Their 30x9.50 is listed as the same size as their 31x10.50
30x9.50
31x10.50
Anyway, 4" of lift is more then enough for the average 31" tire.
If you're already carrying 2"lift, 30"s will go right on with no further modification.

and now im considerin just keeping it lifted at 2 inches and slap sum 30's on, but im not too sure yet

im currently running 30's with no lift on stock wheels ive done some mall crawling and a mild trail near the house with the sway bars connected they dont rub.... with 2" luift you should be golden for 30's 3" looks the best with 31's, then it went 5" with 33's it went everywhere with the 3" and 31's that i could with the 33's its just cost a whole lot more on 33's

my new rig stock with 30's
DSCN0871-1.jpg

my old rig at one stage in its life 3" lift and 31's
IMG_0001.jpg

same rig at 5.5" with 33's
IMG_0002.jpg

You will probably regret it. I have a 2.25'' lift right now, and it looks almost stock with my 225's. 3.5'' is the way to go if you have the funds and the time.

i went 2" lift on 235's and i was pretty happy with it... for a while. trails are more of a challenge on a smaller lift =) i actually went to a 4 inch lift on 235's for a while, its all about tire placement and picking your line with smaller tires.

big tires big lift kinda took some of the fun out of the trails i used to frequent, now i have to find bigger trails to make things hard to do again.

yea thats the problem i dont have any funds now from the lack of a job, i want to go bigger but i need to get all the costs added up to see how big of a dent its gonna put in my pocket

ok thanks i really appreciate all the suggestions now i just need to get some cash

and now im considerin just keeping it lifted at 2 inches and slap sum 30's on, but im not too sure yet

Bigger/Higher is not necessary better.

2" lift with 30's would be good.

Have you wheeled your XJ with the front sway disconnected? If you haven't, you would be amazed at the added flex. Maybe you could start by getting some quick disconnects for the front and remove the rear sway bar. You can make some front disconnects also. Just search around here.

You could also get a front lunch box locker like a Aussie for about $250.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get a front locker first. Then do a 2" budget boost with 30's. And a selectable in the rear. BUT, I past the point of no return many moons ago.

Back