• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Plastic gas tank retrofit questions?

It's possible if it works anything like my 96 - I think the only real difference is the fuel return line vs vapor return line.

The good:
* will never ever rust out
* bolts right up

The bad:
* your fuel filter and regulator are now on top of the fuel pump on top of the tank. Hope you don't ever have to change them.
* your gas gauge will not work, at least not till you build some custom electronics to convert the sender signal.
* you may need to modify the pressure regulator setup on the fuel rail and remove the fuel filter from the frame rail, I am not sure - the 96 model year had the pressure regulator already moved apparently, so I have been fine.
* You may need to put the ends of the fillspout hose and overflow hose into a pot of boiling water to soften them up enough to stretch over the barbs on the new tank, the newer tank has a larger diameter barb. You may also need to shave the end down a little to make it more conical so it'll go into the hose easier.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself two of J3240023 (the strap J-bolt) from funjeepsparts.com, along with two 3/8"-16 UNC stainless steel nylock nuts and two 3/8" stainless steel fender washers from home depot. That way you can simply cut the old, rusted out, seized up J-bolts instead of spending a long time removing them.

You will also need to extend the wiring harness slightly - I think I had to add about a foot to mine. The cables are the same pinout as far as the pump itself is concerned, but the gauge sender is different, it won't work anyways so I just left mine disconnected. You will also need a few hose clamps and bits of rubber gas line to adapt the newer gas line to fit the older gas line. Not really a big deal.

I believe it took me and my girlfriend about 5-6 hours to do the whole install and neither of us had any idea starting out, this is all stuff I learned as I went. You WILL want a helper to hold the tank up while you get the darn fill/overflow hoses onto the barbs, that's for sure.

EDIT: you may also have to remove your fuel pump ballast resistor, not sure how the new pump will work with the lower voltage, but that is trivial.

Back