• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky front brake noise

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
97 Sport, 4.0 AW4

My front brakes - sounds like from the driver side - has developed a funky noise. I recently had my caliper off to change my axle u-joints, and shortly after that is when it began (could be related, but I think it's coincidental).

Pads and rotors are good, caliper is tightened.

So here's what it does - light brake application does nothing, but if I start to brake harder, especially when at lower speeds, the front brakes make a 'sticking' or binding noise that you can feel through the pedal a bit. It's very hard to explain, so let me try. You know how in most auto trans cars, if you very slowly release the brake from a stop, you get that noise when the brakes start to release just enough to start to allow the car to move but still have some pressure on the rotor. Like a grinding, only there's no grinding....more like a binding noise.

Well, that same thing happens but when I stop instead of when I go....almost like a sticky caliper piston, but I'd think that would happen when I released the brake or started off, not when I was stopping.

Any ideas?

Yes, it is related to your recent service work. Make sure the disk brake pads are oriented correctly and moving freely. Pressing the caliper piston back into the caliper to remove/install it can force contaminates into the brake system. The best way to remove/install calipers is to crack the bleeder valve and press the piston. Any contaminates will be flushed out instead of going into the system. You could have a sticky caliper or a partially collapsed soft brake hose. A internally collapsed brakes hose acts like a one way valve. New caliper and hose are inexpensive.

Yes, it is related to your recent service work. Make sure the disk brake pads are oriented correctly and moving freely. Pressing the caliper piston back into the caliper to remove/install it can force contaminates into the brake system. The best way to remove/install calipers is to crack the bleeder valve and press the piston. Any contaminates will be flushed out instead of going into the system. You could have a sticky caliper or a partially collapsed soft brake hose. A internally collapsed brakes hose acts like a one way valve. New caliper and hose are inexpensive.

And what was the condition of the two caliper slide pins and what did you lubricate them with?

check to see if caliper slider bolts are bent, and lube them with anti sieze. x2 on the checking the pad orientation, and just try flushing entire brake system just in case

Back