• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gm 4.3 swap

snbeard71

NAXJA Forum User
Iv been looking for info on a 4.3 swap into a 86 mj with a 2.8 in it now. Iv searched every site I could find and cant find anything.

Thanks

They did the Vortec V6 swap and all they could tell me is they wont do it again. I'm looking for more info on tranny and TC combos that fit. Or is this more of a get what I want and cut to make it fit?

It would be a much better idea to swap in the GM 3400 Crate motor, its pretty popular with the S-10/isuzu trooper folks and you can reuse all of your accessories and current mods. There are some decent preformance parts out there like cams and different intakes.

snbeard71 said:
Iv been looking for info on a 4.3 swap into a 86 mj with a 2.8 in it now. Iv searched every site I could find and cant find anything.

Thanks

There is NO WAY you searched here at NAXJA and couldn't find the answers you're looking for....... this topic has been covered over and over..... I've replied so many times with my own write up info and links, it's all here.

Search using "vortec", "4.3 swap", "3.4 swap", V6 swap..... I counted 6 good threads on the subject just under "vortec".

Last edited:
The 4.3 is a V6 version of a Small Block Chevvy - so work with the SBChevvy swap, and work forward from there.

Advance Adapters makes a drop-in engine mount kit for the SBC - you'll have to do a little "mock-up" work on your driveline to get the rest done, but you can work forward once you get the kit.

Yahoo! Groups also has a group dedicated to V8 XJ swaps (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v8cherokeexjowners2) that might be able to shed some light on the swap as well - or, at least, on the SBChevvy swap that you can work outward from there.

Since no-one seems to have done a decent writeup on the Chevvy 229/231/4.3L swap, I'd appreciate it if you did one - then I can host it for you, after we take some time to revise it. It would fit neatly with the Tech Archive I've been putting together...

5-90

I am in the process of doing a 92 vortec cpi swap into my 86 2.8 right now and would be willing to to a full write up if you are willing to help me with that, I joined so i could use the search feature to do some research on this before i went ahead, Im now head over heels into this project and trying to get it done by my deadline of Jan 18, the Laughlin SCORE races start.

The jeep is an 86 2 door, 3 in lift, 31X10.5 tires, 4.10 gears with a 2.8L, AX5, NP-207. and its getting a 92 Blazer 4.3L vortec CPI, TH350 trans, adapted to a cherokee NP-231 T case with Novak's adapter, and a 4.0 liter radiator and front clip. I chose the TH350 because its the exact same lenth as the AX5 and will put the transfer case back in the factory spot so I can use the factory linkage. Im also swapping out my Np-207 for the 231 because of the aftermarket following and the drivshaft on the 207 uses a GKN U joint (like a cars CV axel) and the 231 uses a double cardan CV.

PS :does anyone know if blazer exaust manifolds will fit?

it's not as impressive but i just put in a 3.1 block with 2.8 heads so everything would bolt right back on and droped back in smooth as silk the only thing was having to neutrally ballance the flywheel which you'll have to do anyway.

Back