• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshiel removal

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen several posts on here about how to remove the windshield out of our cherokee's, comanches and wagoneers. The way to do this would be to purchase (or fab) an L shaped tool with a hobby knife blade on the short end of the L and a handle attached by a cable (similar to winch line but smaller) to the lower part of the long leg of the L. After you remove chrome trim from around the window on the outside, insert the blade into the glue and hold long part of L with one hand, and pull on the handle attached by cable with the direction of the blade. This will cut the glue and there by cut the window loose. if you wind up buying one, spend the extra cash if you can and get the heated model. this makes cutting much easier. if you cannot afford the heated one and prefer to fab ur own, just heat the blade with a mini torch. be carefull not to over heat the blade and handle assembly. as for re-installation im not exactly sure, i am usually just removing. pretty sure you would have to have a special glue and the plastic alignment tabs... google it:dunno:

When you get the new windshield seal from the parts store it has the alignment tabs in it, just remember you will need a heat gun to soften it up so it seals properly.

o ok that makes sense. any specific way to remove the old glue after cutting the windshield out?

Sledgehammer or large rock. Simple, Easy and relieves tension. :twak:
Driving down the highway behind a minivan with a slab of ice on the roof also works :scared:

ive been installing commercial glass for 2 years (not automotive glass), my buddy for close to 4 years, we had the pnuematic tool, and STILL BROKE one pulling it, it aint easy! the butyl only gets harder and harder over the years...
windshields are lami, non tempered. be carefull.

a windshield cup helps tremendously (i didnt have one, only got a flat cup)

It used to be recommended that you not remove all the old bead, just add a bead of urethane on top of what was cut through. That, for example, is the procedure shown in my Chevy truck's service manual from 1988. REcently, however I've seen several sites and experts recommend cutting nearly all of it off, so it depends a bit on which experts you listen to. If this is not the first time it's been done, you pretty much have to cut it down far, because you can't guarantee that the last replacement used compatible goop. XJ's also often have problems with rust under the bead, and if you just add more goop on top of a separated bead, you'll end up with terrible rust problems and leakage. If you have to remove the whole bead owing to rust, etc., it can be hard to get a thick enough bead to reseat the windshield at the right height without leaking. There is a pre-formed bead for the purpose, but I was told by one expert that it's something you should avoid if possible because it doesn't adhere as well as the stuff from the gun. This can be a messy and frustrating job. Make sure, whatever you do, that you get the right stuff, and enough of it.

I have done a couple of windshields successfully, and one not successfully (got it all done and then broke it trying to tap the plastic trim back on!), and took one out of an XJ once, but it was a VERY tedious experience, and something I try to avoid. Even the most experienced junkyard windshield cutters break a few.

Here's one article I found in a quick google search that explains some of the options and problems: http://www.acrglass.com/windshield_installation.htm

Back