• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Fluid Leak

ubercurtisb

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to do a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Apologies if there's another thread covering this same problem.

I've noticed over the past few weeks that I have developed a slight transmission fluid leak on my 2001 XJ. Just one or two drops while sitting overnight. I don't know if it's some sort of seal that needs to be replaced, or if this is a common problem, or what. Does anybody have advice for what to check first? I want to get this taken care of before I drive through Mexico...

Thanks in advance.

Describe exactly where the fluid is dripping off the vehicle. Leaks can be tricky as fluids can migrate and the point of the drip is not always directly below the root cause of the leak.

Check the tranny cooling lines (2) that go into the radiator. Oftentimes, the special crimp on those lines starts to leak a few drops. Very common.

Back