• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove track bar bolt @ axle?

SpAcMuN

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove my track bar bolt at the axle to check/grease my bushings down there (squeaky), but I'm having no luck. Is there some trick to this? I have an RE1600 track bar, but the problem is that the bolt wont come out, even after removing the nut. It almost seems like it may be bent in there, because as the bolt spins, the track bar slightly rises and falls... Any suggestions? I can wiggle the track bar down there, but I can't get anything between the bolt and the mount to pry it out, and I can't seem to get enough force behind the bolt to pry it out.

I've got an '01 w/RE track bar, which has 2-piece poly bushings with a sleeve insert. Open to suggestions.

the sleeve may be rust fused to the bolt... i have had that happen before, and i had to cut the bolts out. how long have they been in there?

They haven't been removed for about two years, not too long I would think. As for the frame side, I wasn't planning on removing it at all. Would that help?

They haven't been removed for about two years, not too long I would think. As for the frame side, I wasn't planning on removing it at all. Would that help?

that is more than enough time for it to get fused.... you might try spraying penetrating oil on it and letting it sit for a while.

i usually use a claw hammer to get that bolt out. you could also disconnect it at the frame to take the tension off the bolt (usually what makes it hard to get out, allthough it CAN also rust into the sleeve!)

I had to drive flat blade screwdrivers behind the bolt head to pull it out, it took hours.
I was lucky enough to get it out.
I put a new bolt back in and soaked everything with rustoleum paint during assembly.

I would disconnect the frame side. But if not, sometimes you can leave the jeep off and crank the steering wheel to the right or left to take the tension of the track bar. (not trying to turn the tires just moving the jeep side to side)

i had a very similar problem where the bolt only came out about half way and then nothing.....

i ended up hacking off the bolt head/bolt close to the mount, using a punch to punch the bolt stub back into the bushing, and then i could wiggle the bar out.....then you can remove the bar, punch the remainder of the bolt completely out and replace it with better hardware

You should be able to get a prybar to the backside of the bolt to apply pressure. If that doesn't work then put a nut on it and place some kind of spacer tight between the nut and the axle housing. As you remove the nut it will put a huge force on the bolt and should force it to move. Once you get some space under the bolt head you can try a claw hammer or some other device to pry it out.

Back