• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Started

XNorCalX

NAXJA Forum User
I just got an 88 XJ from my Aunt who drove it around town/highway and has NEVER been put in 4WD! It still smells new inside...and of course I am going to turn it into a rubicon rig.

My goal is to run the Rubicon this upcoming summer so my question to you guys is what do I need to do?

I would like to install a long-arm suspension right away. What is better RE or rusty's? Rubicon Express is 15 minutes from my house but Rusty's seems to have a larger lift and from some people say may be better. Thoughts? My goal is to run 35's although I have a set of 33X12.50 x-terrains sitting around that I may use.

My biggest concern in the axles...while I am prepared to swap them out I am wondering if this will interfere with the suspension I buy. Can I do the suspension first and then swap axles?

I am not looking to build a crazy rockcrawling rig right off the bat. I just want to make it through the rubicon without going too

rusty's is in no way better, and at best 'adequate'. theyre really cheap though.

rubicon express is good, albeit expensive (not to mention, theyve been SLACKING on quality lately, our mod tech forum is proof)

before rustys, i'd recommend checking out TNT customs as theyve got really good EVERYTHING!. you could also checkout rough country, full traction, clayton, bds, theyre all better than rustys.

whats your budget like? that'll usually shape the build more than anything else.

you can definately build axles first, if you go for 31' tires, gearing will be ok, you can drive these while building axles for bigger tires. for 35's in the rocks, you probably wanna get 4.88 or so, and stock axles wont last long.

rusty's is in no way better, and at best 'adequate'. theyre really cheap though.

I don't know if RE is better or worse, but I have been running the Rusty's long arms for almost 7 years. I have had zero issues with them and for the money it was one of my best upgrades. The only thing I see with them that could be considered a problem is they hang down low compared to some of the others mentioned. But as far as hanging down, they do work good as a front driveshaft skid/protector :rolleyes: But if comparing Rusty's to RE, I think they are very similar in design, so go with whichever is cheaper.

Your budget will determine if you want/can afford the other ones mentioned here. There is a big difference in price and arguably a big difference in design and quality.

Back