• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultra cold Tranny issues

arctycfox

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else had trouble shifting their tranny into 2nd? It's been below zero here lately, and my tranny (AX-15) doesn't want to let me shift into 2nd till it's been rolling for a bit (warmed up). It WILL go in but it fights me pretty good.

Has anyone else had trouble shifting their tranny into 2nd? It's been below zero here lately, and my tranny (AX-15) doesn't want to let me shift into 2nd till it's been rolling for a bit (warmed up). It WILL go in but it fights me pretty good.

Maybe changing the trans fluid?

I am kind of speaking out of my rear end, but perhaps the atf degraded so that its viscosity is more greatly affected by temperature?

Just a thought...

Let me guess--GL-3 or some other gear oil?

Change over to Mobil-1 10w30 motor oil or any other good synthetic 10w30 motor oil, that will fix it for you.

It's a manual, so it'll probably not be ATF.

(also talking out my rear, and not the differential kind) maybe the bearings for second gear are wearing out/getting stiff and the synchro for it is having a harder time than the others when the gear oil is thicker?

It's a manual, so it'll probably not be ATF.

(also talking out my rear, and not the differential kind) maybe the bearings for second gear are wearing out/getting stiff and the synchro for it is having a harder time than the others when the gear oil is thicker?

When you drain it, if it has a "golden" color to it, someone has used GL-5 in it and GL-5 is not yellow-metal safe. Yellow-metal as in synchros.

My AX15 always shifted like crap, especially when cold. No problems since changing to the 10w30 synthetic.

Why not? Redline makes great stuff. You can't just buy it anywhere, but it is great stuff.

The Mopar special transmission fluid is essentially 10w30 synthetic, and costs $20 a quart--we have to buy it for the NV4500 in our Dodge 3500 kill truck or it voids the warranty.

You can buy Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is yellow-metal safe, runs about $8 a bottle, when you can find it.

I guess Redline MTL can be had for under $10 a quart, plus shipping (if you don't have a local dealer).

I guess I'll just use the "you can buy it anywhere for cheap" motor oil.

mines the same way but its nowhere near 0 here this morning was 33 degress ive changed the gear oil twice since i bought the jeep (3 weeks ago) i will be heading to costco for some mobil one soon! (cheapest price ive found)

it does worry me putting a motor oil in a transmission but everyone states its ok to do.

Back