• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this thing??

HuntMarsh

NAXJA Forum User
haven't had my jeep long, and i'm in the process of wiring up a bunch of lights, a winch and all sorts of good stuff. running out of places to put a switch. on my ceiling, theres this grey thing that hasnt worked (i dont think, but then again i dont know what it is), and i'm contemplating ripping it out to mount a switch there. right between my vanity mirrors and its got no buttons or anything.
stupidjeepthing.jpg

somebody has to have this thing. what is it?

It's the receiver for the keyless entry.

X2 on what Saudade said, this provides all sorts of things you can play with - at the very least it has constant +12V power (likely a pink wire, check your FSM), switched +12V (turns on when in start/run/acc, probably white w/ black stripe), ground (black or green I believe), and lock/unlock triggers for the door latches (usually some combination of blue, red, pink, and purple iirc.) Great if you want to build your own custom remote key entry setup, and if you don't (and don't ever want to get RKE working again) you can retask the wires to do something else - like wire in your switch or power for an overhead mounted CB painlessly. The other end of that wiring harness pops out under the passenger side kick panel, just don't scavenge the pink, yellow, and black wires or your dome light(s) may stop working.

X2 on what Saudade said, this provides all sorts of things you can play with - at the very least it has constant +12V power (likely a pink wire, check your FSM), switched +12V (turns on when in start/run/acc, probably white w/ black stripe), ground (black or green I believe), and lock/unlock triggers for the door latches (usually some combination of blue, red, pink, and purple iirc.) Great if you want to build your own custom remote key entry setup, and if you don't (and don't ever want to get RKE working again) you can retask the wires to do something else - like wire in your switch or power for an overhead mounted CB painlessly. The other end of that wiring harness pops out under the passenger side kick panel, just don't scavenge the pink, yellow, and black wires or your dome light(s) may stop working.

wow that was actually REALLY helpful, i have the same keyless entry system and thought the only thing i could do with it was hope to find a fob somewhere:wow:

I'm probably going to be building a custom unit for myself soon, my plan is to put it on the 70cm or 2m Ham Radio band and also add a GPS unit and a modem to support APRS. If I can find a wire to spare (I just got my OHC working so most of the wires in that harness are in use) I'll be adding a remote fuel injector disable. Assuming I get it all done, it'll be like a personal lo-jak with 5+ mile range and 20-30 foot resolution.

(yes, I am way too much of a nerd...)

Double check those wire colors I gave against an FSM for your model year, I am pretty sure I got them right but don't want you screwing something up if I didn't.

I mounted my CB there. Had to cut some of the headliner to fit the mounting bracket, though. (My CB is a big one... came from a semi.) Just enough room to fit the CB and still be able to adjust my mirror.

Hmm, I didn't even think about mounting my CB up there and wiring it into the existing crap. Good idea.

Back