• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the difference between a 89 and a 91 jeep cherokee

deejay

NAXJA Forum User
k i have a 89 cherokee 4.0L and the exhaust manifold is cracked i wanna put a performance one on instead of a stock one but on the headers some say the year starts at a 84 cherokee and some say they start at 91 cherokee whats the difference will a 91 part not work on a 89 if you could help at all it would be great thanx

The intake ports are higher on the '91 and up heads, so that is the concern (gasket wise). The exhaust ports on all 4.0L engines are in the same spot. What that means is that you can use any year 4.0L header and mount it to your 4.0L head, but you'll need to get the correct gasket for your year cylinder head, etc... (hi port or low port).

The "official" answer to that is to keep all emissions controls intact.:nono:

However if you need to "test" ;) something you could plug something temporarily.

The fitting on the EGR bung is a odd size if I remember correctly. 5-90, Old Man or Ecomike could chime in with better info on the fitting

could i just plug the egr tube hole and like bypass it or do you have to have it

Can you weld?

If not, any muffler shop can weld on a bung for the EGR tube.

One issue that may surface with using a 91+ on a 90 and earlier is that the downpipe may not line up with the header's collector. This is no real problem, as any muffler shop can make a new downpipe, or (better) is that you cut and add in a section of stainless steel flexpipe before the CAT. That may give you enough flex to connect the downpipe to the header, and has the main benefit of reducing the stress on the header that causes them to crack in the first place.

The intake ports are higher on the '91 and up heads, so that is the concern (gasket wise). The exhaust ports on all 4.0L engines are in the same spot. What that means is that you can use any year 4.0L header and mount it to your 4.0L head, but you'll need to get the correct gasket for your year cylinder head, etc... (hi port or low port).

can anyone else verify this to be true? are all the mounting points the same? so if i get a 91 header i can use it on my 90 with a 90 exhaust/intake mani gasket?

can anyone else verify this to be true? are all the mounting points the same? so if i get a 91 header i can use it on my 90 with a 90 exhaust/intake mani gasket?

True.

The "official" answer to that is to keep all emissions controls intact.:nono:

However if you need to "test" ;) something you could plug something temporarily.

The fitting on the EGR bung is a odd size if I remember correctly. 5-90, Old Man or Ecomike could chime in with better info on the fitting

I have been "Testing" the egr tube not being hooked up for about a year.. lol
The then new Dorman replacement exhaust manifold wouldn't let it screw back in right. The holes where about a 1/2" off. So I figured lets see how it works with out it. I guess I am still checking. It passed Houston,Tx emissions last time with flying colors though.

I was the GM over at Clifford before Jack Clifford passed away in 2001.

Good to have you on here and your knowledge. I used some Clifford stuff on my 300 I-6 that I built for a 84 F-150. It would light up all 4 tires on the street and sounded like a V-8. I had the 4 barrel intake and split headers and went with a Sig Erson cam.

6=8

I was the GM over at Clifford before Jack Clifford passed away in 2001. I did many head conversions and stroker kits during my time there. I don't know suspension, but I do know the 4.0L. Ha!

Thanks for backing up the new kid on the forum, I appreciate it.

Right is right! Welcome to NAXJA. :cheers:

sweet ill just do that then cust the header is getting replaced along with the full exhaust so ill get it all lined up thanx for all the info

Good to have you on here and your knowledge. I used some Clifford stuff on my 300 I-6 that I built for a 84 F-150. It would light up all 4 tires on the street and sounded like a V-8. I had the 4 barrel intake and split headers and went with a Sig Erson cam.

6=8

Thanks for the warm welcome - I'm already loving it here.

I love the Ford 300 L6! I swapped one of those into a '66 Stang years ago. That thing ran too!

You know that Sig's brother used to grind all of my cams at Clifford, right? Babe Erson did all of our profiles, that is why they ran so damn good. R.I.P. Babe!

Right is right! Welcome to NAXJA. :cheers:

Thank you!

op can you please start using punctuation this is the second thread i have seen from you with no punctuation and it makes my brain turn off when i do not see punctuation thus i find it very hard to give you a lucid useful answer so please use punctuation maybe this post will show you how much more difficult it is to read a post without punctuation but then again maybe it wont and holy run on sentence batman oops

op can you please start using punctuation this is the second thread i have seen from you with no punctuation and it makes my brain turn off when i do not see punctuation thus i find it very hard to give you a lucid useful answer so please use punctuation maybe this post will show you how much more difficult it is to read a post without punctuation but then again maybe it wont and holy run on sentence batman oops

:roflmao::lecture: I think we need to start a "On Line" English and Punctuation class on here. My 3rd grade English teacher use to beat me and put me in the corner for misspelled words and poor punctuation. After a few beatings I learned to get it right.

Back