• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help. Whose LCA's are these? What type of Johnny joint is this?

knuckleuppunk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I need some help on two items. Hopefully somebody out there can help me out!

Does anyone here know whose LCA's these are? I purchased the XJ with the kit already installed and not driven for a few years. The brackets and such all match to the Full Traction units, but the LCAs look different (the bend). Both arms match, so they were not bent on a trail or anything like that. Super beefy too, but they appear to be installed upside down (maybe high clearance LCA's?). One end is a 1" heim and the other is a type of johnny joint.

LONG ARM INSTALLED POSITION
lcainstalled.jpg

LONG ARM ON BENCH
lcaonbench.jpg

My other question is regarding the joint on one end of the arm. I had assumed that the joint was a Currie johnny joint, but after tearing it apart it appears to have a different insert than the Currie unit. The Currie units on their site are equal length halfs, but the insert on mine are unequal length halfs. I don't know if the dimensions will match Curries, but I;m making that call today to find out.

If it helps, the joint uses two (2) c-clips to hold the parts in place. The units I've seen from Currie only use one C-Clip.

BUSHING INSERT PIC
bushinginsert2.jpg

Thanks for any help guys, I do appreciate it!

JC

looks like a RockKrawler arm. That's what I have on mine. And RK says they can be mounted with the bend up, but everyone I've talked to who has them, including myself, has had to mount them with the bend down like yours for the proper length, etc.

i have RK, i put mine with the bend upwards. u can see that your stock arm mounts are still attached. i cut mine off so my arms would clear

Interesting. Does the RK mounts look like the Full Traction units or do you guys think that somebody switched out the LCA's on a FT lift kit?

Any clue on the johnny joint? The insert is killing me. If I can get these joints rebuilt and the kit cleaned up, I can get this XJ back on the road.

Thanks again!

JC

Looks like a 1st generation Full Traction arm to clear to LCA mounts, which could not be cut off to be JeepSpeed legal (That JeepSpeed rule has since changed).

Looks like a 1st generation Full Traction arm to clear to LCA mounts, which could not be cut off to be JeepSpeed legal (That JeepSpeed rule has since changed).

I had a feeling it was a FT arm, as the mounts and such appear to be FT units as well. I just didn't know if FT had different generations on their arms, etc... Thanks for that info, I do appreciate it greatly!

With that said - any idea on rebuilding the jj "type" bushing? Will standard Currie inserts work?

Thanks,

JC

Sure look just like my Rock Krawlers do. Watch how much your joints thread into the arms. Make sure you have at least two inches of the joint going into the arm itself. I had to cut my arms, add tubing to the outside and reweld them making them 1 1/4 inch longer, because I only had one inch of the joint going into the arm tubing, and it managed to strip and pull out when my jam nut loosened which it always does when wheeling. The johnny joint is probably RK also. They have two sizes and two lengths now.

Thanks for the reply Paul. I really don't know who made these LCA's, but I've been talking with Chris at Currie and he seems to think that the JJ is a super early version and that their current insert will still work. I just emailed him new pics and dimensions this afternoon. I should know more Monday and I'll update this thread when I do know.

If anyone knows more about this JJ, please add info to this thread! I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there with this type of JJ and the more info we have the better the forum is!

I actually really like these LCA's and I think I'll clean them up, install new bushings/Heims and see how they work. I've only driven this Jeep around the house since we purchased it, so I don't have any idea on how they'll work. It should be great, as all the joints and bushings in the steering and suspension are being replaced, plus new shocks and stabilizer. Here is to keeping my fingers crossed. Ha!

Thanks,

JC

you may want to check with full traction and see if they have parts or info on that joint or a replacement if Currie can't help you. I'll look at my FT arms tomorrow and see what they look like(not bent arms but I believe blazair is correct with the early jeepspeed kit on yours)if I get some time. When we installed the kit we put the heim on the axle side, as are the other FT kits I have seen. Good luck.

As an update - I confirmed that it is in fact an early FT 6" lift. Good to know. Also, the arms CAN be ran with the bend down for desert racing or up as high clearance arms as well.

The joints are also early Currie units as well. I have parts coming and hopefully she'll be back on the road quickly. I'll post pics once everything is done.

Thanks for everyone's help - I do appreciate it!

JC

Back