• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Swap Help

verticalspark

NAXJA Forum User
Well my trans has died finally and I cant afford to rebuild it. So I bought a used trans from a Auto recycle center in NC that give it a 7 month warranty.
I have swapped out engines and transmission out of older vehicles several times before but never my jeep. Is there anything I should know before I start the swap?

I don't know your experience level, but a torque converter is not a clutch. Several times here I've seen guys try and stab the trans with the converter bolted to the engine- ain't gonna happen. Get that sucker in the bellhousing first. If it's in all the way, it'll actually have to come back forward just a bit to get to the flexplate when the motor/ trans are bolted together.

E12 inverted torx is necessary for the top two bellhousing bolts- and pull the crank position sensor out of the bellhousing before removal unless you're confident you won't jam it into the flexplate on the way out.

yea i dont like torque converters but I have had lots of fun putting them in and taking them out of trucks before. Like I said I have experience with older cars and trucks. this will be my first attempt with a "new" vehicle.
Thanks for the info JJacobs

I don't seem to recall there being one there. I may be wrong however.

I just swapped my 88's AW4, and the one I did before that was a 64 ford. The cherokee is not that difficult. Remembering where all of the fittings went was a little tricky, and getting the cooler lines back in was a little tricky, but fairly straight foward. I think the hardest part was getting the dip stick tube re-seated with out mangling the thing.

Not sure about the gasket between trans/transfer case - I would like to know, as I will be swapping this soon.

Might replace your flywheel/flexplate while your in there - Its pretty simple and not too expensive for a new one. Check for cracks.
I also did the rear main while I was in there as I had the pan off for better access to pull tranny. Good luck

no gasket between them-- seal at output of trans and input of transfer case, but since there isn't any fluid transfer between the two, there isn't any need for a gasket.

so i pulled the trans and the transfer case along with the exhaust and drive shafts. I plan on replacing the rear main seal and the freeze plug while i already have the trans out. Is there anything else that I can replace while I have it out?

I would replace the front pump seal. You are right there, and if you don't it will sure as heck leak.

I would replace the front pump seal. You are right there, and if you don't it will sure as heck leak.

I'd do the rear seal on the AW4 as well. I seem to recall that it was pretty cheap, like $4 when I did mine. I agree that the critical piece is getting the t/c all the way seated. Keep turning it until it clunks all the way in, so you don't destroy the pump when you snug up the bellhousing bolts.

well took everyones advice and got a front and rear seal for the trans. got the rear main seal but nobody had a oil pan gasket:cry: guess I will wait till tomorrow until it gets here so I can put the trans back in.

Back