• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you remove the headliner

Paul61001

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have a 2000 Cherokee Sport and i want to sound deaden the roof because i have alot of bass. Is it pretty much all the surrounding plactic trim, visors, etc? Any tricks to it? Thanks for the help

Visors, soundbar, and all perimeter trim. I was at the JY today talking to a buddy about a headliner I was eyeballing and we pretty much had it out in 5-10 minutes.

X2^
easy, very easy. helps to have a helper when it's time to remove....keeps it from buckling when all the support is removed. I recovered my 91 a few months ago. CHEAP and looks a TON better.
* Remember you have to pull the interior light (s) too. They have the little star washers on "posts" (on my 91'). Pull the lens and you'll see what i'm talking about. I broke mine, used a self tapping screw into the center support...no issues. I think i have pics....PM if you need'em, you really should't but i have to "dig" for them!! I dont mind.

You can reuse those darn star washers / push nuts if you are very careful, or just mangle em and then get new ones for a few bucks at the local autozone/cap auto or something... being a perfectionist, I very carefully grabbed mine on each side with needle nose pliers and wiggled downward while twisting back and forth till they came off, then flattened them back out mostly and reused them. They've gone back on twice now without issue. The self tappers will work great too, but I'm always worried that I will put them in a little too deep and dimple the roof.

I just put a socket, can't remember what size off hand, and twisted them right off. Yeah some times the whole "bolt" came with them but its easier to get them out that way.

Back