• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifiying Wiring...fans, headlights etc

JTwthaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am pretty sure this had been done, but my question is it worth the hassle? I want to upgrade the headlight wire loom and fan wiring harness for aftermarket fans, but I would like to modify just the wiring from the ECM to the headlights, and from the ECM to the Fans. I want to do it this way just to keep it a little cleaner in the engine bay. And I am pretty sure that there is an extra relay or two openning(s) in the ECM. I have read go-jeeps website and the wiring loom idea I really like, but I just don't want to have relays for headlights, driving lights, and fans posted everywhere in the engine bay. Any thoughts..... Thanks!

Not really everything just the relay size and the gauge wire for a couple of things. I already have 5-90's main harness upgrade and the V8 ZJ alternator upgrade. I just dont want to have to guess which relay goes to what if I ever have to work on something.

The ECM has nothing to do with the headlights - you are thinking of the PDC (power distribution center) with the extra relay slots, though they don't have socket pins in them as shipped. You'll have to get another PDC at the junkyard and carefully disassemble it to remove the snap-in pins that connect to the relays. Personally I would put the relays in their own box and mount it near the ECM and stock airbox location. If you do it right, you can even use the plug off the old wiring harness and avoid hacking up the engine compartment wiring harness that way - great if you screw up and need to put a stock harness back in for some reason.

Best way is like kastein mentioned, check this link and look at fitch's relay box.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?cat=4

Best mounting spot would be on the drivers side fender well if you don't have abs there and then the wiring can run down between the airbox and fender wall and into the header panel keeping the wires hidden. Then when wiring them up just use a white paint pen to number them and write on the lid which number controls what for future reference.

Thanks for the correction, I did mean the PDC, forgot the acronym. Appreciate the link, may just have to build the fitch box thing and run from there.

Back