• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main help

Blaxj88

NAXJA Forum User
Today, I decided to replace the oil pan gasket and replace the rear main seal since I had oil leak onto my exhaust with lots of smoke. I did my research on the forum on how to do it since there was alot of info. Im ve got the one piece gasket on the oil pan, lower bearing gasket on the bearing cap but am stumped on the upper bearing seal. I know im supposed to beat one side with a brass punch until the other side protrudes out. Well. i want to know how hard am I suppose to hit it? I know the seal is a bit on the hard side because it is an old jeep( 88 with 181k and probably original seal). It almost feels like the seal is hard as metal! Im afraid to break it in there if its hard and brittle. Please help!

My xj is an 87 with 350,000 kms on it and I had no problem replacing it. Just use a little frienldly persuasion and it'll come.

Mine was almost exactly at the point yours is when I replaced it. '88 with 188k miles. I had to make sure the punch was centered directly on the metal core and pound the fire out of it. It finally popped loose.

My '88 had about 150K when I did mine. I had to beat the snot out of it. Work it from both ends. As the others have said, use a soft brass punch or rod. Use a heavy hammer to get a good shock impact. Be careful swinging the hammer.

When I did the seal in my 90 4.0 I had to keep banging it for a while. Brass punch and a good hammer. I was wondering if it would ever break loose. Once it started moving I got hold of the end that protruded and pulled it out. The worst part of the whole job was getting the top part moving.

Back