• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld d35 diff on 32's ??

rhinoron713

NAXJA Forum User
well just like it says I'm thinking about welding the spiders on the d35 in the rear of the xj .....only for now untill sometime next year then i'll go arb air locker ...anyways It's an 87 xj on 32" remington mud brutes !

Let's hear some opinions should I ....or not ???

KABOOOOOOOM!

Go for it if you don't care about it.

I'd start looking for an 8.25, D44, or 8.8 depending on whether or not you can fab and how much $$$ you got.

:explosion:explosion:explosion:explosion:eek:.... plus do you have C-clips? if you do, WHEN the axle breaks you can guarantee that you will be watching your tire and wheel bouncing past you.... extremely bad idea. Save your money and as stated above find a 8.8, 8.25 or 44. Most of those are plentiful now in junk yards since CFC.

Do it and take pics/video, I wanna see a d35 explode

A: BOOOM!
B: ARB IN A D35?
C: BIGGER BOOOOOOM

Swap in a better rear axle before you do anything else.

Are you carrying a spare rear end with you on the trail?

If not, I wouldn't do it. I busted my d35 doing a u-turn on 32's.

The thing really is made of fail and aids.

Just make sure you tell everyone what you did so they have the option to stay home that day!

i wonder if the welded spiders would fail before the axles?? But If your welding a rear axle im guessing its not your daily driver...so go for it! i run 33's on my Tj 35 and haven't had any problems yet. But putting money into a D35 is just a waste.

the advantage of welding the diff lock that it kinda get rid of the weak link in the D35 which are the spider gears breaking. the weld should keep the gears stay alive a bit longer. :eyes:

weld-locked or lockers actually CAN help the axle to survive longer because you have much more control to drive over something in the trail than needing to use so much gas to make the momention before hit the obstruction and you happen to have one side with much more traction and other side spinning 100 mph and suddenly that tire catch a root, rock, anything with good amount of traction that actually STOP the tires from spinning then there you go, KABOOM! :skull1:

i will be welding my D30/D35 in near future to get much more tractions i want on the trails. i will personally decide if the theory of locking the axles will significally increase the risk of breaking:moon:

the advantage of welding the diff lock that it kinda get rid of the weak link in the D35 which are the spider gears breaking. the weld should keep the gears stay alive a bit longer. :eyes:

weld-locked or lockers actually CAN help the axle to survive longer because you have much more control to drive over something in the trail than needing to use so much gas to make the momention before hit the obstruction and you happen to have one side with much more traction and other side spinning 100 mph and suddenly that tire catch a root, rock, anything with good amount of traction that actually STOP the tires from spinning then there you go, KABOOM! :skull1:

i will be welding my D30/D35 in near future to get much more tractions i want on the trails. i will personally decide if the theory of locking the axles will significally increase the risk of breaking:moon:

Dude, you're so full of <poopie> your eyes are brown.

Welding the 35 is not going to make it anything but even more weak than it started off.

Forklift-FAIL.jpg

Welding the 35 is not going to make it anything but even more weak than it started off.

Maybe if you weld a bunch of slag onto the toothpicks, er shafts, thus making them larger and then stronger?

thats rather fast replies

i may be "fail" to you, my rig is just a trail rig and i have 2 left and 2 right spare axle shafts and a complete extra D35 in my garage so its not a huge deal to me if it breaks.

I do so love D35 threads...

OP/95' heep, when you break yours, talk to this guy: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013045

EDIT: dude they're calling you fail because you claimed putting more stress on the axle at all times makes it stronger under a very few conditions. Nominated

thats rather fast replies

i may be "fail" to you, my rig is just a trail rig and i have 2 left and 2 right spare axle shafts and a complete extra D35 in my garage so its not a huge deal to me if it breaks.

Except for the hours you hold up the entire group you wheel with, while you pound yet another d35 stub out of the welded up carrier.

For less than the cost of the d35 spares, you could put in a rear end that isn't guaranteed failure, and doesnt warrent carrying TWO of every spare.

But really, don't go around suggesting to people they weld up a d35 to make it stronger. About all that does is ensure they break before they really get into a tight spot. :/

Back