• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering messed up

LivinUpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok i can turn my steering wheel almost 180 degrees to the left without the tires doing anything, finally when i turn enough the tires start turning. but if i turn to the right it moves normally, this is buggin the crap outta me and feels so unsafe because i can jerk my wheel the the left pretty hard and nothing happens. what can i adjust to fix this. i just got an alignment and that didnt do anything. thanks:eeks1:

You need to have someone turn the wheel while you are observing the steering linkage in action under the vehicle. Is the pitman arm responding to input from the steering wheel? Is the drag link responding to input from the pitman arm? Are the knuckles responding to input from the draglink and tie rod? Is the trackbar keeping the axle located so that the knuckles will pivot? Approach it systematically.

LuVmyJeepXJ said:
ok i can turn my steering wheel almost 180 degrees to the left without the tires doing anything, finally when i turn enough the tires start turning. but if i turn to the right it moves normally, this is buggin the crap outta me and feels so unsafe because i can jerk my wheel the the left pretty hard and nothing happens. what can i adjust to fix this. i just got an alignment and that didnt do anything. thanks:eeks1:
Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft or worse, the steering gear box has removed itself from the unibody. WORSE YET, gear box is trashed.

One thing you didn't mention. Did this issue exist BEFORE the alignment?

yeah it did it before the alignment, it really started after i broke a tie rod end on my trackbar, maybe i didnt adjust it right, but would that mess up the steering that bad, i really dont think the box is trashed it works fine there is just one big dead spot, ive rode in rigs with bad steering boxes and doesnt seem like that at all.

Back