• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME 2/2.5" Lift VS RE 3.5"

Ilikeparts

NAXJA Forum User
so im trying to make up my mind so I can finally pull the trigger on ordering my lift kit. I was hoping to get some feedback from ppl running these parts. I'm shooting for the minimum lift/maximum tire size (i plan on trimming but dont want to give up any interior storage space) philosophy and plan to build an expedition/DD rig that can hold its own for moderate trail riding

what i got :

'93 2dr Country 4x4 4.0l AW4 231

Dana 30 superior cro-mo axles 4.10 gears and a truetrac
Ford 8.8 Super 88 kit, factory posi 4.10 gears disc brakes (Explorer rear)

33x12.50 MT's on some MT classic2 knockoffs polished aluminum rims

rim size is 15'x12'. yeah 12' wide WTF i know they were really cheap.

The fully assembled rear 8.8 is almost 13" wider than stock. So, I might sell them, buy some steelies 15x10 and reinvest the rest but anyway i digress....

oh and also my buddy is gonna sell me a 3" rough country lift that is almost new for 150$ or so. It has 3" coils, 2-4" shocks and the RC adjustable shackles and blocks.

OPTION A:

Go Old Mam Emu. If i go this way i'll shoot for 2" front and 2.5"I would resell the 3" RC coils and go with the OME931 ZJ coils, then ditch the blocks and order the small 34RA spring (1.5"-2" i think) and combo that with the RC shackles and RC shocks. And then get the 8.8 spring perches and plates from ruff stuff specialty.

OPTION B:

GO Rubicon Express. If I go this way, I would get their 3.5 super-flex kit except no coils, and swap for 8.8 ubolts and add spring perches and plates. I use the 3" RC coils in front, shocks all the way around and resell the shackles if they put the rear too high. I would end up with a 3" front 3.5" lift with superflex LCA's & swaybar disco's.

OPTION B ends up about $200 more which isnt bad only it's a little bit more lift than I was hoping for..

I wonder would I need more clearance for these roller skate wheels with 2" and stock control arms or 3" and superflex lowers?

Is going for the RE stuff worth it/appropriate for this build?

Get rid of the 15x12's someone has to be willing to trade that is WAY too wide for a 33! The OME934's will give you about 2.5 inches or in some cases as much as 3.5!

i hear ya on the rims but OME934 are too big to run with stock LCAs.
besides that i already have a hookup on a set of 3" coils.
besides that like I said 3" is a little bit higher than I want to go...

Last edited:
I'm running OME934s on stock LCAs right now... it's a little steep, but it works ok for me. I got 3.5 out of em (but I only have stock bumpers right now, etc etc)

Also, 15'x12' rims? Why are you running a lift at all? You should have like five feet of clearance under your axles just from the rims :D:eyes: Yes, I know what you actually meant.

I believe your Country generation has a 1" lift over stock already so OME 2.5" will only give you 1.5" more than what you've already got. You'll never get 33s under it (without cutting past the flares anyway) and the most you could fit while keeping it street clean would be 30s. However it will ride nice and be plenty capable for light trails.

The RE 3.5 kit will give you +3" more than what you've got now. However it puts you into the 4+ range over stock so you will need a bunch of replacement parts, such as adjustable LCAs (and preferably UCAs), an adjustable trackbar, longer shocks and swaybar disconnects, etc. You'll probably need a SYE too. You can fit 31s with no cutting, 32s with some (not visible) trimming under the flares, and 33s with some surgery.

I believe your Country generation has a 1" lift over stock already so OME 2.5" will only give you 1.5" more than what you've already got. You'll never get 33s under it (without cutting past the flares anyway) and the most you could fit while keeping it street clean would be 30s. However it will ride nice and be plenty capable for light trails.

The RE 3.5 kit will give you +3" more than what you've got now. However it puts you into the 4+ range over stock so you will need a bunch of replacement parts, such as adjustable LCAs (and preferably UCAs), an adjustable trackbar, longer shocks and swaybar disconnects, etc. You'll probably need a SYE too. You can fit 31s with no cutting, 32s with some (not visible) trimming under the flares, and 33s with some surgery.

hmm thx for input

but the UpCountry is a subpackage (I think 97+ only, not sure) that comes with bigger springs and no rear sway bar.

my is '93 regular Country package so regular height springs.

but more to the point you think 2" front lift will never fit 33x12.50's without trimming the outer fenders past where they rivet on?
I was planning to go that high if necesary and as for the inner fender wall I have a nice little 110v SnapOn MIG so I can rebuild the inner fender where needed

Not sure I follow your math on the RE kit, Even if I had the UpCountry package its just bigger springs so I would take those out, put in the RE springs and be at the 3.5" the kit advertises.

I'm with you on going for aftermarket LCA, Swaybar discos and shocks with 3"+ of lift, but adjustable trackbar? never heard that before.

as for the SYE, guys at rubicon express say with the 3.5" lift probably won't need it, I will be setting the pinion angle on the 8.8 so hopefully no vibes well see....

2" will definitely NOT fit 33s without trimming. I'm at 3.5" and I rub in a few spots with well worn 32s - and that's without going off pavement (since I blew some stuff up and have yet to fix it.) I have TJ flares sitting in the corner of the living room waiting to be put on, at which point I'll be trimming as needed.

The guys at ARB told me that oftentimes OME934 + Stock LCA = busted

I don't think its gonna bust the control arms. I know a lot of people who still run stock LCAs on 4 inches of lift. Its not Ideal but it'll get you by.

What it might break (if your XJ is as rusty as mine...) is your axle's LCA bracket and/or body LCA mounts.

What it might break (if your XJ is as rusty as mine...) is your axle's LCA bracket and/or body LCA mounts.

Yeah but there are plenty more axles out there thanks to CFC! :D

I believe your Country generation has a 1" lift over stock already so OME 2.5" will only give you 1.5" more than what you've already got.

That is the UpCountry package not the Country trim level.

2" will definitely NOT fit 33s without trimming. I'm at 3.5" and I rub in a few spots with well worn 32s - and that's without going off pavement (since I blew some stuff up and have yet to fix it.) I have TJ flares sitting in the corner of the living room waiting to be put on, at which point I'll be trimming as needed.

yah i know you have to trim to fit 33"s with 2" lift but how much? I was planning on doing mine like the rig shown here, then test for clearance and go from there
C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CJesse%20Cann%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CHEEPO.jpg
C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CJesse%20Cann%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CHEEPO.jpg

I don't see where anybody has said this yet, but the RE 3.5 kit gives you more like 4.5" of lift. Mine measured 5"+ in the rear until the springs were broken in.

I don't see where anybody has said this yet, but the RE 3.5 kit gives you more like 4.5" of lift. Mine measured 5"+ in the rear until the springs were broken in.

Good point too. If he wants to run 33's this would be the kit but He's also possibly getting into SYE territory there.

hmm.. apparently i dunno how to post pics.

this guy has the same fenders as mine he cut at the ridge that runs about .5" down from where fender meets the body. it removes almost all of the fender and has a nice clean look on the old country package

Good point too. If he wants to run 33's this would be the kit but He's also possibly getting into SYE territory there.

True, I couldn't even drive out of my neighborhood without the SYE because the vibes were so bad, but I know that some have a better experience than I had.

True, I couldn't even drive out of my neighborhood without the SYE because the vibes were so bad, but I know that some have a better experience than I had.

I have a feeling when I get these OME934's on mine its gonna need a t-case drop to get me by til I get a SYE. Hopefully my ARB bumper will weigh it down enough where the vibes aren't bad. :D

I would stick with the OME kits if you want to stay low. I have the 2" coils in front and the 3" spring packs in the rear. I have exactly 3" of lift in the rear and 2" up front. I haven't done any trimming up front other than the bumper caps. As stated above the RE3.5" sits higher for a lot of people. Desertmetal fit 33" on stock height with trimming. You'd be fine on the OME kit and trimmed.
IMG_2875.jpg

I would stick with the OME kits if you want to stay low. I have the 2" coils in front and the 3" spring packs in the rear. I have exactly 3" of lift in the rear and 2" up front. I haven't done any trimming up front other than the bumper caps. As stated above the RE3.5" sits higher for a lot of people. Desertmetal fit 33" on stock height with trimming. You'd be fine on the OME kit and trimmed.

i like it. thx for the input. so you are running OME931 and the CS034RB springs? what size tire?

is that the 0 lift 33"s? he has the rear flare trimmed the way I was trying to describe in earlier post. Looks about right to me.. all it is missing is some 12" wide wheels. and some sliders.

Last edited:
Back